Hotel preferences for all inclusive in Cancun?

Aug 7th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Hotel preferences for all inclusive in Cancun?

Hi! Our travel agent has suggested the following properties in Cancun:
Flamingo Cancun
Occidental Caribbean Village CUN
Park Royal Piramides Cancun
Club El Mandarin
Royal Solaris Caribe Hotel & Marina

We are looking for good beaches and toddler friendly. Has anyone stayed at any of the above? If so-what do you think?
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:33 AM

The hotels you listed are pretty much 2-3 star properties. In my opinion, there are much nicer hotels which have good children's programs but I don't know what your budget is. If you are planning your trip for this fall, you should be able to find some great deals since prices drop after the middle of August or so.

Crown Paradise Club comes to my mind first as it is a great place for families. Gran Caribe is also a beautiful hotel with a nice children's club and the surf is much calmer on their beach.
Aug 8th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Hi,
Royal Solaris would be a nice place as well. Crowne Paradise is a geat choice. They have mini golf a kids pool with slides and a good kids camp
Aug 12th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Well - we (2 adults with the 2 year old) would prefer to stay at a 4 star hotel however my father is wanting to stay in the 3 star price range. AND we want to stay together.

Thanks for the tip on Crown Paradise Club and Gran Caribe. I will look into these. These 2 properties and Royal Solaris appear to be the largest of the ones I've seen (approx 500 rooms). The benefit of the larger places are surely the ammenities. I hope this does not make them too much of a 'circus.'
Aug 12th, 2003, 06:50 AM

I recently stayed at the Cancun Palace and had a great time, fun place and fun people. The staff at the hotel couldn't do enough for you. The beach was great, the pools were busy with activities all day. Drinks were flowing all the time and the food was edible.
Aug 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM

As I mentioned earlier, if you are going this fall, you can probably find a good deal at a 4-5 star resort that would be in the 2-3 star price range. I know that we are going in October, staying at the Omni on the all inclusive package for 7 nights and getting two of those nights free. We are paying the same price for 7 nights as we did for 4 nights when we went to Cozumel earlier in the year. Check with your travel agent. They should be able to find you some great deals at the nicer hotels which would make everyone in your group happy!
Aug 12th, 2003, 09:16 PM

If you go south to Playa del Carmen, the Iberostar resort is great. We went 2 years ago with 2 kids along with another family with one toddler. The oceanfront rooms are very nice, the resort clean and the staff helpful and friendly. The grounds are jungle-like and interesting for kids. The pool gently slopes down, making it a great playplace for non-swimmers.
Aug 12th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

We are staying only 4 nights, early Oct and due to travelling from Mexico back to Norway we were not interested in additional travel time once arriving in Cancun (ie drive from airport to Playa del Carmen).
My travel agent here has no background on Mexico and my dad has called someone who had a cheap charter flight and this agent uses funjet. We have our flight taken care of (from Norway). If you have an agent or any tips on how to upgrade hotels due to the time travelling, PLEASE send them my way. It currently looks like our choices are Flamingo Cancun or Occidental Caribbean Village. Would they be a disappointment?
Aug 13th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Personally, I think you will be disappointed in those two properties. I am doing some checking and will get back to you shortly.
Aug 13th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Norway:

I did some checking. Crown Paradise Club which is an excellent hotel (4 star) and very kid friendly (they have a kids pool with water slides, miniature golf, kids club, etc.) would be $1200 total for 4 nights for all of you on the all inclusive plan. That's if you stay in one room. That is only $100 per adult per day and it includes all you want to eat and drink, plus your room.

The Gran Caribe (5 star) is also $1200 for 4 nights (one room) on their all inclusive plan. It is a beautiful hotel.

By comparison, the Occidental Caribbean Village is $950 for 3 adults in one room on the all inclusive plan. Personally, I would rather pay the additional $250 for a much nicer place to stay and play. Especially if you have such a short time. Your trip will be much more memorable and enjoyable.
Aug 13th, 2003, 07:52 AM

For what it's worth, my parents have stayed at the Royal Solaris twice and really enjoyed it. They thought the beach was beautiful and the food was good. One of my co-workers recently stayed at the Park Royal Piramides and thought it was very nice and a good value.
Aug 13th, 2003, 11:38 AM

I second the recommendation of the Royal Solaris. The food was solid, not gourmet, but well above average. The resort was spotless and the service excellent.
The shows were "ok' but they put a lot of effort into it.
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mandy! I really appreciate you looking into that for me! I don't think my father and his wife would consider staying in the same room as us. But - you are right that this would cut our costs significantly!

I feel we are sort of 'stuck' in our situation, unless you possibly have a tip of an all inclusive property that has 2 bdrms?

Again, thanks for the hassel! I think we are a lost cause!
Aug 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM

Ask your agent about Camino Real. Always stay there when in the hotel zone. Property is older and still has a Mexican feel, not like the other americanized ones that remind me of Miami Beach. The beach there is wonderful, the grounds are beautiful, and the staff is the best.
Aug 16th, 2003, 08:31 PM

Sorry, but forgot to mention Camino Real is not an all-inclusive. But there are many great restaurants in Cancun, both in the hotel zone and downtown.
Aug 18th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Camino Real is not all inclusive but they had a really good food plan. My husband & I thought it was really reasonable and the food was really good.
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:03 AM

You are not STUCK - you just have to do a little sleuthing!

Most of the hotels that have suites w/bedrooms will cost you more than if you booked two separate rooms. I still think for the short time you are in Mexico, you would like either the Crown Paradise Club or Gran Caribe. I did some more checking - 2 rooms all inclusive for everyone at Crown Paradise would be $1450, and the same thing at Gran Caribe would be $1500. But, since I don't know what your budget is, I can't tell if this would be a workable solution or not. Still, for the 4-5 star property, all you can eat and drink, $1500 for three adults and a toddler is a pretty good bargain. I wish you luck. I want your first Mexican vacation to be great.