Search

Where on the Pacific Coast of Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:58 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where on the Pacific Coast of Mexico?

I'm taking my partner on a surprise 30th bday trip in June/July. At first, I was considering Cabo as it seems to offer nice resorts and is easy to get to from the Midwest. After consideration, I don't think Cabo is for us. I like a more lush destination (Cabo is the opposite)and Cabo sounds pretty Amercanized. We've been to Puerto Vallarta (loved it!!), Playa del Carmen area (loved it), Cancun (average) and Cozumel (average).

I want the trip to be special and am looking at spending 5 nights/6 days. I'm looking for a quaint town with good restaurants, lots of local shops, friendly people, mountains, nice beaches (i know they don't compare to the Carribean side) and the possiblility of day trips to other local towns.

Does Ixtapa/Zihuatanego, Mazatlan, Manzanillo or Acapulco fit the bill? Which do you prefer and why? Ixtapa sounds nice, especially with the two towns being so close as well as some the beautiful accomadation options, but I'm totally open to ideas. I just don't want to repeat a place we've already been.

We just got back from the US and British VI's, so would really like to head back to Mexico for the next trip versus the Carribean.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM

I'd recommend Zihuatanejo. I don't care for Ixtapa, but there are some really nice properties in Zihuatanejo, there are good restaurants, good shopping, etc. Beaches are also nicer than Ixtapa, even though the 2 places are so close.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:27 PM

The Careyes Resort and the El Tamarindo both look incredibly nice. They are both north of Manzanillo. But they don't offer the shopping you probably want, more all beach resort...
look on tripadvisor.com and pull up pacific coast reviews. The Wyndham Grand Bay Isla Navidad Hotel sounds wonderful.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:07 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks Susan and Frankie.
I was thinking of Las Hadas in Mazanillo, but the Grand Bay looks wonderful. If I choose Mazanillo, this will be the place to say. Zihuatanego has some great intimate resorts as well and Las Brisas in Ixtapa does not sound too bad.

How will the weather be in early July? I assume hot with random afternoon showers???? How are the beaches in the Mazanillo area? Are there a variety of good restaurants and shops in the Mazanillo vicinity?

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:28 PM

If you go to Manzanillo,thenthe Las Hadas is a good choise ,it is a very nice place.
The beach is nice but most people sat around the pools.
There is a nice asphaly pathway towalk from the Las Hadas to the Karmina Place.
If you stay at the Las Hadas, you must ask for rooms:
1000 or
2000 or
3000 or
These are corner places and are suites with lots of windows on all sides. There is no extra charge for being in these rooms.
Yes, Cabos is Americanized but so is PV and so is Mazatlan and Acapulco and Ixtapa.
We tourists want to the comforts of home..so business is giving it to us.!!!
I have been to every major place in Mexico(except Huatulco...next on the list) and I liked every place I was at.
What is not to like.?!!! Sunshine, nice beaches , nice people, good food, nice places to visit.etc etc

Have a good time
Percy

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:36 AM
mjz
Original Poster

I've decided to go to the Manzanillo area and have booked the Grand Bay Resort Isla Navidad. I was able to get a rate of $111 per night at skyauction.com, so I'm pretty pleased.

I plan on flying Continental Airlines and in July they fly to Manzanillo on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. So I can either do a 4, 6 or 7 night vacation. I'm leaning towards 4 nights as I don't want us to get bored. We've never been to Manzanillo and if we really like it, we can always revisit in the future. We take leisure trips frequently (about every other month) so it's not like this is our annual trip.

What do you Manzanillo visitors think...4 or 6 nights? Also, how will the weather be at the beginning of July? I know this is one of the wettest months, but does it rain for long periods of time or is it passing afternoon rain showers?

Thank you.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:26 AM

I've stayed at all the hotels you mentioned, except just visited Karmina, did not stay, thank goodness. Between Las Hadas & Grand Bay, I would pick Grand Bay. Neith have beaches to rave about but Grand Bay is a beautiful hotel. Take the boat across to Barre de Navidad for shopping & more ethnic food choices. There is no real need to go south into Manzanillo in my opinion mainly aport town. More interesting option in Barre & then north to Melaque, La Manzanilla etc., if you have a rental car. Tamarindo is a good choice next time for seclusion & then you can drive to the small towns mentioned. Grand Bay was very quiet & only a few other guests at the time (October), the pool was nice. Enjoy!