HUATULCO

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:11 PM
chris

HUATULCO

Anyone been to Huatulco recently? What are the beaches like? The resorts? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Rick

Huatulco has nine bays and 37 beaches. Water is crystal clear and most beaches are great for swimming and/or snorkeling. Being relatively undiscovered it is usually uncrowded and is always clean, safe and georgeous.
Check out www.huatulco.com.mx/aguaazul/ for info and a wide range of activities and tours.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 09:01 AM
D

I have mixed feelings about Huatulco. We were there in July 2 years ago. The water certainly wasn't crystal clear, but we did enjoy the beaches quite a bit. You can sit under Palapas, have a drink, eat seafood, whatever on many of the beaches and it is pleasant. It was also quiet. The only other people there were Mexican folks on vacation. On the other hand it was maybe- too quiet. Although nothing happened it seemed kind of creepy at times. It seems like a place that has just not quite made it as a resort(This is just IMHO I am sure many will disagree). Also the service town for the area, Las Crucecitas (I Think) did not have much to offer and no food of any merit. I would go back to Huatulco becaue I enjoyed the tranquility, but it certainly was different from other Mexican beach resorts. Depends what you're looking for. Also Oaxaca City is a short plane hop or a long bus ride and it is well worth visiting.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Earl

We spent a week in Huatulco last July and loved it. As others have posted, it is much more tranquil than many other resort destinations. We were very happy to find it that way. Huatulco is a tropical paradise with beautiful beaches and fabulous mountains nearby. The people are very friendly and helpful. We loved the area and went on several tours, up the coast to the turtle sanctuary and into the mountains to a coffee plantation.
The Camino Real Zaashila, in Huatulco is located on a fantastic stretch of beach. It is very secluded. Everything about this hotel is perfect. The rooms are beautiful, the service is fantastic and the restaurants are excellent.
Ask for an upgrade to the Club – Level rooms. A little more expensive, but they come with an excellent buffet breakfast and an evening cocktail hour. Our room at Zaashila had it’s own "splash pool". Our14ft. x 16ft. pool was very secluded and quite romantic.
Check on the availability of a package called "More Mexico for Less". We received our 4th night free. Over the years we have stayed in CR properties in10 different cities and loved them all. You can book direct with CR at 1-800-7 CAMINO.
Their web site is: http://www.caminoreal.com/english/index.html
The two nearby towns are relatively small and pretty quiet. The area is not like Puerto Vallarta or Cancun. Not important to us since we were not there for the nightlife. There are good restaurants in the towns and on the beach. Many Oaxacan specialties were available.
I can suggest an excellent guide if you are interested. Eme for more info if you wish.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Chris

Hi Earl,

Thanks for your note on Fodor's Forum. Huatulco does sound rather nice. We were thinking of staying at the Gala.

I am interested in a trip to Oaxaca for 1-2 days....did you do that by any
chance? I would also be most interested in the name of your guide.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Earl

I think that you will love Oaxaca. It is an amazing part of Mexico. You can spend days wandering the streets and visiting historic buildings and churches. The zocolo is one of the loveliest that we have seen in Mexico. Lots of activity, nice sidewalk cafes and excellent restaurants. There are several pedestrianized streets that go through the historic center of the city so getting around is very easy. We stayed at the Camino Real Oaxaca, a 450 year old converted Convent. The hotel, staff and service was wonderful.
Some of the obvious places to visit outside of the city include the Ruins at Monte Alban. If you are in to ruins, don’t take a guided tour to the site. Take public transportation and spend as much time as you wish. We were there for most of a day. For day trips to surrounding villages we hired a car and driver.
Arnolo Mendoza is and wonderful guide. He speaks excellent English, is very knowledgeable and he has a nice sedan. His rates were negotiable. They ranged from 80 to 100 pesos per hour. We spent 2 days with him. His telephone number in Oaxaca City is 517-5263. One day we went out to the ruins at Mitla and Yagul and also included stops at the weaver’s village of Teotitlan del Valle and Tlacolula.
Another day trip took us to San Bartolo Coyotepec a village famous for its black pottery. We stopped at the factory of Dona Rosa, still run by her son, Valente. We also traveled to the wood-carving village of Arrazola. If you eme at my yahoo address I can suggest some excellent restaurants.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Geri

We loved our stay (just got back last Saturday)and would definitely recommend the units that face the ocean, especially the 2nd floor. The ones that are not junior suites (connecting) go for 900 pesos if you stay over three days. The staff is eager to please, the pools are pretty, and the beach is way less crowded than further south, near Playa Los Arcos. The breakfast buffet is 60 pesos and quite good, if you prefer to stick around. The location cannot be matched, in terms of the accessibility to the Malecon and wonderful restaurants. Can you tell we had a great time?