What time should we be at SJO airport for am flight?

Mar 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

What time should we be at SJO airport for am flight?

Hi All-

Our flight is very early leaving Costa Rica (6:30 am - what was I thinking?!). What time should be at the airport? I think it's recommended to be there 2 hours prior, but I can't imagine the airport being too busy at such an early hour so wondering if getting there 1 hour before would be ok? Also, any hotel recommendations very near the airport?
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Ugh, that's early! I would plan on 2 hours. They don't even allow check-in after 1 hour for Int'l flights, so that would be cutting it close. Hotel Villa Bonita is a lovely little place 5 min from SJO. Inexpensive too...I recommend you stay there to help the morning be as painless as possible.
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM

I always book those early flight then wonder late what the heck was I thinking?! Two trips ago I had a 7am departure, left Orquideas Inn about 4:45am and was fine on time, but there were already people there. I had plenty of time to shop & stuff though so it wasn't too crazy. I would plan on being there by 4:30 to be safe.
Mar 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM

The official recommendation for international flights is to get to SJO three hours before your flight leaves. Actually, early morning is the busiest time at that airport, and sometimes you do need a lot of time. As hipvirgochick said, one hour won't do it. They cut off the check-in by that time.

Me, I always get there three hours like they tell me to.
Mar 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM

We always get there 3 hours before our flight, just in case. (I know it's not the answer you wanted. ) Three hours is what they recommend. You probably won't need it, but it's better safe than sorry.
Mar 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I guess we'll plan to be there by 3:30 am. Might have to just stay up that night.
Mar 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM

I hope some of the shops or restaurants are open for you - 3:30a.m. - argh! I always bring a good book to pass the time; ironically both times we've gotten there early our flights have been delayed, but you just never know.
Mar 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM

IF this is the first flight out in the am, isn't it important to ask what time someone at airlines will be there to check you in? I dunno, getting there so early for a 6:30am flight sounds nuts to me.
Mar 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM

You may very well breeze through this in no time at all. You pay the airport tax. You check in at your airline's counter. You pass through security. You go to your gate. I've been flying in and out of Costa Rica for 16 years. I've had the whole thing take 10 minutes, and I've had the whole thing take over two hours. Those are the extremes. It's usually something in between this. But I've been there enough times when the lines stretch out the door and down the sidewalk not to risk it.
Mar 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM

sf, you might want to call and check to see how early you can check in; I'd hate for you to get there so early and have the areas you need not be open yet.