Search

Activities-Arenal area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activities-Arenal area

Well--it's only 2 weeks before we leave for Costa Rica! I'm taking my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren (9 & 11) to experience the beautiful country that I visited 3 years ago. The flights and hotels are all booked--thanks to your suggestions. In Arenal, we're staying at Los Lagos for 3 nights-- 2+ days. Now, we need suggestions on the best activities for our short time there. For the canopy tour, I'm leaning toward either Arenal Mundo--which also includes an optional horseback ride, 10 ziplines, a visit to a recreated "native village", etc. and Arenal Rainforest Reserve (Sky Trek), which also includes a tram ride and hike along hanging bridges. Considering, the children, which do you think would be best. Or--do you have another suggestion? I'm also leaning toward a tour to the Cano Negro (tour companies?), and Tabacon Hot Springs. I think Baldi might be too "Las Vegas", and Eco Thermales might be too quiet for the kids. I'm also considering the hike to La Fortuna Falls. Is river rafting this time of year worthwhile? Where would you suggest we might have the best chance of observing some volcano activity? Lots of questions--I'd appreciate any advice you could give to make this trip really memorable for my grandchildren.

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM

We were just in Arenal with our 9 year-old son.

We did SkyTrek and he loved it. One of the guides zipped with him (behind him without making him feel like he was being "helped" in anyway) to give him enough weight. I would go earlier in the day -- seemed like the groups were smaller then so you spent less time waiting.

We hiked down to the Fortuna waterfall. It's a pretty nice waterfall and worth a view. Took us about 10-15 minutes to walk down, a little more to walk up. We wore our bathing suits and Keens. We did swim in the pool at the bottom of the falls -- I guess they recommend not to but it was really fine around the edges. There's also a nice swimming area a little downstream.

We went white water rafting booked through our hotel (Rio Tropicales) on the Sarapiqui. We were told it was a "class III" river but, frankly, the water level is so low that it was barely a class II trip. Despite our disappointment, it turned out to be a really nice "safari" float with just us and 2 fun guides who spotted a lot of wildlife for us.

We spent one evening at Eco Termales. For us, it was my husband who got bored first. I think my son and I could have wandered from pool to pool all night! We loved the hottest pool with the waterfall. I will say, though, that we didn't see any other kids there. Dinner there was very good.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM

I'd recommend Sunset Tours for the Cano Negro tour; they do an amazing job. I think Tabacon is a good choice for you because it has a water slide; if my 30-something husband loved it, I can imagine your grandkids will too.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM

We also went to Cano Negro with Sunset Tours and thought they were excellent. For ziplines, we did Sky Trek. We didn't have any children with us, but my 68 year old mother is scared of heights and had one of the guides go in tandem with her. She ended up really enjoying the experience! Its a real adrenaline rush, and the platforms have awesome views of the volcano and lake.

What a wonderful trip to take with your family! I bet the kids will love it. Have a terrific time!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. We will be arriving in Liberia the Saturday before Easter Sunday--so our two full days at Arenal will be Easter Sunday and Monday. Is there a possibility that some of the attractions would be closed on Easter Sunday? Also--would there be any special Easter celebrations--parades, etc--that we might like to see in La Fortuna?
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM

We leave in about 2 weeks also and are staying at Los Lagos. Just me and my 11 year old daughter. Eco-Thermales wasn't too quiet, we had a great time there...but I'm considering checking out Tabacon...at least once in my lifetime! Or, we may just to Eco again and include dinner. The waterslide does sound fun and the ground look beautiful at Tabacon. We're also taking a tour to a wildlife sanctuary with Desafio, if that interest you. There's a 1/2 day and then there's a full day trip that includes a women's co-op, organic farm, market and cooking. We're doing the latter. Cano Negro's great, lots of wildife so I agree with the others on that one. Also, we went zipping with Mundo Aventuras. Highly recommend it for extremely high lines and waterfall views. It does involve some hiking up though (tractor up to the falls, but hiking between some of the zips), whereas I think with Skytrek you just go up on the tram.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hip Virgo Chick: What nights are you staying at Los Lagos? We'll be there 3/22-3/24. It would be fun to meet up!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Also--do you think the Zip lines at Mundo would be too frightening for the kids (9 & 11)?
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM

It would be fun to meet up! an Too bad it looks like we'll miss each other. We're starting off in Puerto Viejo and won't be in Arenal until the 26th. Hope you enjoy your stay there, it's our first time at Los Lagos. Not sure about your kids with the zips. I thought for sure my 10 year old (at the time) would look down, freak out and we'd have to turn back. As it was, she was psyched and I was the one who was saying to her 'are you sure this isn't too scary'? Ha! She went tandem, which is what I would advise because you do have to do your own hand-braking. I think Skytrek has a different braking system. The horseback ride was nice, but not spectacular, just a low key stroll. I hear the horses at Los Lagos are in excellent shape, so we might take a ride there.

Are you going somewhere after Arenal as well?
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM

The hike to the falls is great. We did it with 3 and 5 year old and I was 6 months pregnent. We all swam at the bottom in the pools and we were fine. Tabacon was really fun for the kids- very touristy and don't stay past dusk. My friend has been there many times and said it can be wild and rowdy at night.
We all loved watching the volcano spew lava at night. Lunch in LaFortuna is fun too.
Your grandchildren will love it.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry we'll miss you hipvirgochick! We all would have enjoyed meeting you and your daughter. After Arenal, we're driving to Manuel Antonio for 3 nights, then one night back near the airport. Too short, but we have to keep it in the timeframe of school vacation. My daughter is a first year teacher, and doesn't want to take any additional days around spring vacation. Wouldn't look good. We're all getting excited about Costa Rica! Thanks, everyone, for all the good info!!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Have a wonderful trip Karin! We will be heading to MA after Arenal for 3 nights as well (and then to Osa). It looks like we will be following you! Have a good time in MA, it will be our first time there.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

One more thing--should I make reservations for anything before arriving? Tabacon? Sky Trek? hipvirgochick (I'm a Virgo too, by the way--but not especially hip), what have you lined up for activities at Manuel Antonio? Where are you staying? We're staying at Costa Verde. Too bad our timing doesn't coincide.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Ha-ha! You're funny. You can join the virgo club with volcanogirl, shillmac and I!

I would book your tours in advance if you know what and when, just to be safe, because it's going to be a busy week.

In Arenal I'm reserving a tour with Desafio (that one I mentioned above) and Eco-Thermales with dinner (or Tabacon, haven't decided for sure yet, have only been to ET).

In Manuel Antonio I'm reserving Finca Valmy horseback tour only. We plan on doing a lot of beach time there...so with one day at the park, and just 3 nights, I don't think we'll do a lot of other things unless it's a sunset sailing or nocturnal thing at Si Como No. I would like to do the Damas mangrove kayaking, but I think we will do some kayaking in Osa instead.

It is too bad we'll miss each other and I'm sure our kids would have a great time as well. Maybe another time!

We WERE staying in the lower unit of Mot-Mot, but after recent comments about it being hot and humid, and discussing with management that it wouldn't be fixed until April, we cancelled 2 days ago and rebooked the cheapest room at Buena Vista Villas. Normally, I don't pay this much for a room, but decided a splurge with the private beach was in order.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM

hipivirgo, please report back on your stay at Buena Vista. We originally looked at the mot mot but decided to splurge and get the one-bedroom villa at BV.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM

SiteC_R -- Sure thing! I will definitely post back about the new hotels we're staying at. We are taking the deluxe bedroom, not the 1 bedroom Villa, but I will do my best at check-in to bat my eyes and ask about upgrades...it seems to work for Volcanogirl! Ha!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM

hip - LOL! I guess I have to give the credit to Mr. Volcano and his beautiful baby blues since we got upgraded by a woman! I can't wait to hear all the details when you get back!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

hipvirgochick--Sign me up for the Virgo club!! You're probably right--since it will be Easter weekend (sure hope things won't be closed down) it will probably be very busy, and I should make reservations. Should I just make them online through their websites--or through our hotel--or a travel agent? Re MA--a horseback tour and Damas kayaking were the activities I had been considering--plus the beaches and park, of course. And, Finca Valmy sounded good.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Valmy hasn't gotten back to me after a couple of e-mails so I think I will ask the hotel to handle that one. I think Damas has a website. For the hot springs in Arenal, I'd just book on line yourself. Your hotels will suggest whatever hot spring or canopy company they work with, so just hold true to your research to book the company you want!