Comparing the Arenal Zip Lines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done quite a bit of reading about the various zip line options in the Arenal area. Has anyone done more than one? We are trying to figure out the best option for our party. We are a group of adults and children, ranging from extremely adventurous to moderately adventurous. The youngest children (ages 6 & 7) will need to ride tandem with a guide. Which tour would you recommend? It seems like the Sky Trek lines get the most recommendations. Also - let me know if I don't have my facts right! Thanks!

Arenal Paraiso Canopy Tour - 18 lines. Seems to have fewer reviews than the others but we are staying at Arenal Paraiso so this would obviously be the most convenient. We will have our own car rental so not a big deal.

La Fortuna Canopy - arrive via horseback to 4 zip lines.

Arenal Mundo Adventura - zips over La Fourtuna Falls. They have 11 lines, all with views of the volcano or falls. You have the option of arriving via horseback or tractor. Gets great reviews.

Sky Trek - tram up and then zip or tram down. Great views of Lake Arenal. 2 short lines & 6 long lines.

Cast your vote! Which one would you recommend?

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM

hipvirgochick just did this with her daughter - I think she could give you a good rec. for going with children.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM

CathyF - I can't compare the others, but SkyTrek/SkyTram would get a huge vote from our kids and was one of their top experiences in Costa Rica. (Mom and Dad got a pretty big kick out of it too.)

Our party there also included a family for four from Spain with two younger boys. Because they were smaller, their ages were hard to judge, but I would guess they were between 6 and 12. On the first few lines, they both rode with a guide, but on the last three or four lines the older boy rode alone and seemed very proud of himself. (Rightly so.)

Not only are the view of Lake Arenal great, but the views of Arenal volcano itself are spectacular from there. You can even pick out hot boulders rolling down the flanks in the day, especially if you bring some binoculars.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Hi CathyF -- I can't give you a comparison because we only used Munda Aventura, but I will tell you it was a blast and I would definitely recommend them. Maybe I'd try Skytrek next time because it also gets great reviews. I took my 10 year old daughter and she went tandem (and was also less nervous than I was)! There were about 8 of us in our group. We took a tractor up to the platform where you can look out over the canyons and falls and start getting a little freaked out because the ziplines are waaaay above the canyons (but it is terrific scenery as you zip past the waterfalls). Then you have to hike a little more up several sets of stairs/trails. I think these zips may be a little more work getting to, but well worth it! Once you get to the top you start descending the 11 zips. Some of them are pretty darn long! The brake system is the type where you have a handbrake on one hand that you trail behind yourself on the zipline. It's fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. The other hand is used to hold onto the rope that secures your harness to zipline. We had a great time, and my daughter wanted to do it again when we were done! Afterwards we went on a short horseback ride around the property and then took a look around their little butterfly house.

Whichever company you decide to go with I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. &quot
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM

cathy--I can't help much other than to say you'd probably really enjoy any of them. Last year a friend and her daughter did a daytrip up to Arenal with Wadi Tours. They did the 18 zips at Arenal Paraiso and raved about it. That particular tour is offered 3 times per day, I believe. As you say, right there on the property.

By the way, that's usually our hotel of choice when at Arenal--hope you like it! Nice location. . . .
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! Arenal Mundo and Sky Trek both sound great! We aren't going until February and this detailed research keeps me busy - but I am getting way too excited!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:42 AM

In Arenal I've done the zip lines at Eco Lodge, and I've done the ones at Paraiso several times. I highly recommend Paraiso -- lots of lines with very good guides. (The ones at Eco Lodge are great too, but less lines.) The lines over the falls are very new, but 4 lines isn't very many. The truth is that you're going to have a blast and feel safe on any of the zip lines that you go to, so I'd look for convenience.