What I learned in Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a week in Costa Rica (Arenal and MA) and absolutely loved it. Normally, I consider myself a “traveler” but this trip was meant to be a getaway “vacation.” It was relaxing and delightful, and I still managed to learn a few things so I thought I’d pass them along…

1. Costa Ricans are incredibly friendly and helpful people.
2. Interbus is a wonderful thing.
3. Arenal Observatory Lodge is a great place to eat dinner. You get delicious food and the free “show” of watching lava spew out of the volcano.
4. The Costa Rican men are very good-looking.
5. The long and winding drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio pretty much eats up your entire day.
6. Sloths are cute.
7. Manuel Antonio on Easter weekend is comparable to the Jersey shore on the 4th of July.
8. Wear sneakers (or other closed-toe shoes) on the Arenal hanging bridges.
9. The first beach in MA Nat’l Park (Espadilla) has the fewest people and is absolutely delightful.
10. Did I mention the men are good-looking? They also like to flirt… but only in a fun and harmless way. I quite enjoyed it.
11. When dining in a local eatery, always order the casado.
12. Pura Vida is pronounced like “Pour-a Beer-a.”
13. Ice cold Imperial is really good.
14. The Costa Ricans have a wonderful attitude about life. Pura Vida!

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Did you actually hear someone say "Pura Vida"? I never did.

I agree about the drive from Arenal to MA. We were making good time, but as we got closer to MA, the one lane bridges took a long time to get across. Also, our rental car AC could not keep up with the heat, so it was pretty unpleasant.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:06 PM

LOL! Can't argue with those observations! Very gracious (and good looking) people are, in my opinion, Costa Rica's greatest treasure.

I'm sure Easter is an amazing (and busy) time to visit--so glad you had a good time. We spoke with our friends in San Joaquin de Flores and they were looking forward to the big Easter procession that takes place in their town. I would like to experience that at least once!

Missypie, I can't believe you didn't hear "pura vida" even once. That's just wrong! I hope the younger generation doesn't drop the ball on that wonderful expression!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Although I didn't hear "Pura Vida" while in CR, I did see a live armadillo, which more than makes up for it. (I've lived in Texas for 25 years and, before I saw one in CR, I'd never seen a LIVE armadillo.)
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM

I never heard "Pura Vida" when I was in Costa Rica, either. Interestingly enough, one of my company's clients - who was born in CR but has lived in the U.S. since he was a teenager - uses that phrase.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I heard Pura Vida a million times - where did you people go?!? Maybe you didn't use any public transport or something, but we heard it a ton from young and old.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Heard "Pura Vida" a lot ....
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

I heard it several times, but I'll admit I expected to hear it more. It was given a couple of times as a response to "Como estas?"
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:07 PM

missypie, you're a Texas girl? We're neighbors! Actually, my husband and I have our "main" residence in Oklahoma, but now live and work (at least during the week) in Texas, having retired from teaching in Oklahoma.

Can't believe you hadn't seen an armadillo before? We saw a lot of them in OK--unfortunately, most were roadkill. Used to be a joke: "Why did the chicken cross the road?" "To show the armadillo it could be done safely!"
I know, it's a weak joke, but it did seem like those poor armadillos never could make it across.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:44 PM

We heard the words, "Pura Vida" every
time we did a tour with Ticos!!! They were always so impressed we already knew the term!!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Shillmac, I said I'd never seen a LIVE armadillo...countless dead ones, but before CR, never a live one.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM

LOL--sorry for the oversight! You are right, live ones aren't that easy to see. I guess they're nocturnal? Although I have seen them out in daylight hours--but only once or twice in the same location.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM

We didn't hear Pura Vida either, but we were in Tamarindo, and these posts say it is very Americanized. Have had such high hopes to get back to CR soon but now a daughter is moving to Georgia, USA so that is where our trips this yr. will be. Keep writing these posts, I am envisioning the CR countryside through you! faithie, where have you traveled to since Yelapa? Copy Cat Tama!!!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM

We were in CR last year - Corcovado n.p., Chirripo, Arenal, Monteverde and Did not hear pura vida either
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Hi Tama .... Nowhere ( boo hoo ) We will actually be going " home " to PEI in August . There is no place like Prince Edward Island in the summer , and no place like home !! I'm allready homesick as we r usually there the end of June early July .