Vista del Valle (Advice Needed)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone who has stayed here have room recommendation? About to make a reservation for 2-3 nights in July.
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM

We really like the exotic wood suite we stayed in (Pochote). It's located right on the canyon and felt very secluded. We also like the convenience of having the shared kitchen with the adjoining suite. Pochote has a wonderful hammock chair in front where I spent several glorious hours just reading, listening to the distant waterfall and gazing over the beautiful Rio Grande canyon. We peeked inside Ylang Ylang and it was beautiful - right on the canyon, very large and private. I'll be staying in the Mango Manor myself on July 16th, but I can't comment on it at this time. I know it's in the garden rather than on the bluff, but it's the only room that would accommodate all 4 of us. You really can't go wrong with any of the rooms at Vista del Valle. It is a gorgeous well-run inn.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:37 PM

I agree...all the rooms are great and have different personalities. We have stayed a couple of times in the exotic wood suites...great(!) porch and view. Particularly nice if you are travelling w/ another couple as it is a duplex with privacy screen on the porch that you can open. Stayed last time in the T-house. Nice and private, but really missed the view, as it is in the garden. We are going in July and are staying in the el Nedo. Some friends stayed in Ylang Ylang...loved it - very private, nice view of the canyon, private outdoor shower. Mike's (the owner) favorite seems to be the Mona Lisa, but haven't seen inside it as someone is always staying there. Vista del Valle is a great place. Super staff, food, gardens, etc. Bring a long sleeve shirt for evenings, early mornings. We will be there July 6-13...when are you going? They offer some great horseback ridng if you do that.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Turns out the Exotic Wood Suites room was all they had available, but it sounds wonderful. We will be there July 17 and 18 and will have just missed you. The view sounds completley great and I appreciate the information.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:14 AM

Stayed at the Exotic Woods Suite last November.
This has the best view of the Canyon with birds flying about .
From here you will walk a cobblestone pathway to the pool area and dinning area.
Yes the staff is great and the food is great.

From your front porch you can hear the distan waterfall... you must take the trip down to the waterfall...the pathway to the waterfall is about 20 feet in front of you below your porch.

If you take this route you will get down to the bottom of the waterfall..BUT if you want to see the waterfall from the TOP and looking DOWN , then do this:

1. Behind your suite you will see some horses, in a corral.

2.Walk along the road past these horses.

3. You will come to some trees and bush..the noise of the waterfall is getting louder so you know you are getting nearer.

4.Now keep walking along this wide pathway and soon you will see another wide opening about 20 feet long leading into the bush , it is on a downhill slope.

5. Now walk slowly down this slope ,the noise now is very loud from the watwerfall.

6. Okay now you see the waterfall !!!as it is going over the edge....now you edge your way slowly toward the water until you are able to look over the edge and aaaaaall the way down..pretty neat eh.!!

Eliza at the front desk is sooo nice always.
Oscar does private tours from here.
I hired him for the full duration of my stay at Vista del Valle ( 9 days)

If you want Oscar to take you anywhere,then tell Eliza ahead of time as he might be booked by the time you get there.

For your evening meal you will be dining under the stars under a glass roof, in the distance you can see the city light of Alajuela and a bit of the lights from San Jose..

After your mealand drinks you will walk back to your Exotic Woods Suite, it is dark now and so there is a series of lights along the pathway on small post that give off just enought light for you to find your way back to your Suite.

Yes Hi to Eliza for me(we exchange e- mails .

Percy

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
peg

mstraveler:

I am a little late, but I also liked the Exotic Woods suites. We stayed there six nights back in October 2001. Have nothing but good things to say about the place.

I went horseback riding one morning, and it was nice. We rode all the way up to the top of the mountain through the coffee fields.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM

Hi Peg

I hate to nit pick but were you not at Vista del Valle in October 2002 rather than 2001.

Also I must give thanks where thanks are due... it was you, Peg, that put me on to Vista del Valle and told me about the Exotic Suite and about Oscar ,the private guide.

I thanked you last November..but just let me say it again... I like to spoil you.!!!
Percy
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:12 PM
peg

Percy:

Are your eyes failing you again? (HA) I said 2001, I will never forget when we were there because we were actually supposed to be in Egypt at that time. Traded the tickets in on Costa Rica. Never did make it to Egypt. I was hoping this year, but I think we will end up in Europe.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM

Hi Peg

Hmmmm..
For some reason I thought you were there in 2002 in October ,because in October 2003 you went to the Galapagos.

Of course you know better than I do when you were there !!!!
My Betz(brain) cells are just clicking too good !!!
Take Care Peg

Percy

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM

Peg
oops..!I meant to say that my Betz (brain)cells are NOT clicking too good.
But that is obvious from some of my posts.!!
Goodnight
Percy
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM
peg

Hi Percy,

I am going to help you out a bit, you forgot a year.

March 2001 Belize and Guatamela
October 2001 Costa Rica
October of 2002 Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar
Sept/Oct 2003 Ecuador and the Galapagos.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Peg
Yep I lost a year somewhere !!

I was almost positive you went to Costa Rica after Thailand.!

You were helping me plan my Costa Rica trip in early 2003 ,and I guess I just assumed you were there the year before..

It's those Betz cells again!!!

Thanks
Percy