Vista del Valle-4 days, what to do?

Feb 27th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Vista del Valle-4 days, what to do?

After our four days in Bosque del Cabo, we are headed for another four days at Vista del Valle. We will have a rental car. What would you all suggest are a must do or must see?
Feb 27th, 2007, 05:08 AM

A few ideas.

A day of Doka Coffee Estate, Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

The trip through Cartago, Lankester Gardens, Orosi Valley is nice.

If you haven't rafted on the Pacuare - this is a must do!

Exploring the cities of Grecia, Sarchi, etc.

Feb 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dfarmer. I have never gone rafting before and I'm sure my husband has not gone in over 30 years. Are there beginner rafting trips?
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Long time to be at Vista del Valle, but what a great place! And as Donna says, it will give you a chance to explore all those great areas all around San Jose. Few people stay in this area that many nights, but I think it's a great idea. So much to see and do--all of it wonderful. Like Donna, I especially enjoy the Orosi Valley. Try to make your way up to Zarcero when you visit Grecia and Sarchi--it's a beautiful little town with a gorgeous topiary in front of the church.
Feb 28th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Mixter, when I rafted the Pacuare I had never been rafting before. Well I had been on a rafting trip on a very slow river, so it was actually more of a float trip. But NEVER actually rafting.

For the Pacuare Rafting we used Rios Tropicales. www.riostropicales.com if you want to look at them closer. We opted for their lowest level of rafting (ok so you can see I am a novice!) I guess it was a 3 - 4 level? The entire day was a very interesting day. The scenery was beautiful. You wear a helmet and life jacket. The guides gave excellent instruction, but I still held on for dear life. So exciting!!! So glad we did this.
Feb 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Donna, I've rafted several times in the U.S. In Colorado and Tennessee. Check out Ochoee Outfitters (or something like that) in your state--we had such a great time with them. Excellent rafting experience. I'll never forget the raft I was in--guide looked just like Gary Sinese (have no idea how to spell that). He got us on top of a white water section and, with his expertise and instruction and all of our hard work, we just sat up there for a moment. It was so cool--we all toasted one another with our paddles once we came off it! It was a hoot! I was with a group of church kids--they thought it was pretty cool! The other rafts containing others in our group didn't manage that feat!
Mar 1st, 2007, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

shillmac, we thought it would be fun to take day trips with VdV as our base. We don't mind driving 90 minutes to an hour in either direction to see different things. One day we can do Poas, another rafting, a trip to the pottery town and a day of relaxation, etc.

dfarmer, thanks for that link. I'll have a look and print out the infor. I'm sure we can arrange it thru VdV when we get there. Two more days till we leave and I'm really psyched.
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Make that 90 minutes to two hours.
Mar 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM

You are welcome.

I really liked VdV. We only a 2 nights - would have loved to have stayed longer!!!

Have a wonderful trip.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM

Have a great trip--and you are right--VdV is a great place to base yourself. So glad you are "doing" the central valley area. So many just get out of there quickly and there is so much to appreciate. Buen Viaje!
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac and dfarmer. Hubby has agreed to rafting on the Pacuare. I've already contacted riotropicales to make the arrangements.

We leave tomorrow. Doing the Happy Dance!