Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

La Selva area, CR: interesting for 15 yr old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We go to CR next wk and still have 3 days at the end of the trip free. Had hoped to raft the Pacuare, but I think my back/neck can't handle it..I am wondering if we should spend 1 or 2 of the nights at a place like LaQuinta Sarapiqui and do a less strenuous raft trip with Hacienda Pozo Azul..we had almost booked the Pacuare trip with Aventuras Naturales because the lodge looks wonderful and the rafting would be split up, but I don't want to spend that kind of money and then not go! Thanks, Joyce
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:11 AM

La Selva (Selva Verde) is an extraordinary area on the Rio Sarapiqui. If your son is into nature and hasn't tired of it by the end of your trip, he should enjoy this area. You can raft the Sarapiqui (much calmer than the Pacuare), do a jungle float down it, tour La Selva Biological Station, etc. From here, you can also arrange transporation to Tortuguero should you be interested. August is a great time to visit because of the turtles. Is that already a part of your itinerary?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Our trip includes Vida Tropical, Arenal, Samara, Neta's, MA and back to Vida Tropical...had told Vida Tropical folks we'd be there last 2 or 3 nights depending on rafting plan..I really have to let them know what we are doing! Oscar is driving us from place to place so it we go from MA to Selva area it means asking Oscar to bring us from MA to there and then finding another way back to Vida Tropical. Maybe it's too complicated...maybe we should just do 3 nights at Vida Tropical and do 1 day Sarapiqui from there. Adv. Naturales does the trip and also has one with some of the hightlight tour in it. Not sure what we will see going from Vida Trop. to Arenal. We could also try Penas Blancas, Corbici (Samara) or Mangrove trip in MA...too many choices. Trevor does like nature, but won't enjoy a long float trip with no excitement! Looked into turtles in the beginning but thought we couldn't do it all time-wise or budget-wise! Joyce
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac if you read this...now my husband is getting crazy about packing..says all the info is geared toward women packing and wants to know about what to wear at dinners...at restaurants or at Neta's!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Trevorjoyce,
You must really be looking forward to next week! You are going to have such a good time with this itinerary.

I have a couple of suggestions. You will be staying at Vida Tropical your first night. Based on our recent experience, it was okay for a night () we stayed 2 nights during our 4 weeks) and we enjoyed visiting with Jose and playing with George the monkey. I wouldn't have wanted to stay 3 nights however. We spent the last 4 nights of our trip at Las Orquideas and thought it was just great! From there we went to Poas, Zarcero, San Jose, Sarchi/Grecia, Heredia, Doka Coffee Plantation tour on day trips. Just looking around, enjoying the scenery, the pleasant (sometimes cool) weather, and relaxing. Of course, we didn't have a 15 year old to entertain and we did have a car. Have you considered renting just for those last few days?

You can certainly fill your time with day trips from either Vida Trop or Las Orquideas. Irazu on the other side of San Jose is interesting, and you can continue on down into the Orosi Valley, see Cachi Lake and Dam. There are some Pre Columbian Ruins at Guaybo Nacional Monumento near Turrialba. They were interesting. There is Zoo Avenue in Alajuela (actually in La Garita), but near both Vida Trop and Las Orqu. There is a Serpentarium in Grecia. A trip up to the Sarapiqui region is still possible from here, as is a day trip to Braulio Carillo Parque Nacional. You don't have to worry about all of these choices now. You can think about it once you get there. They will all be available to you.

As for clothing, my husband always takes one pair of slacks simply because we weren't allowed to have dinner in one of the nicer restaurants on the Paradisus Playa Conchal property one time because he had on shorts. This chapped him. That said, he hasn't worn his slacks yet. Unless you are planning something really fancy (Neta's is fine dining, but relaxed clothing!), I don't think I'd bother with it. He takes one pair of tennis/walking shoes and one pair of sandals, some quick dry long pants with zip off legs, a couple or three nicer knit shirts, and the rest T-Shirts. He packs light, and gets along just fine.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Trevorjoyce,
I forgot one thing. If you plan to do Poas or Irazu, everyone would appreciate having a lightweight jacket or a sweatshirt--same for Arenal. My husband hasn't taken one (I always do because I get cold on the plane), but a few times he regretted not having one.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac, just curious, why Las Orquideas vs. Vida Tropical...I've already told them I'd be there 2 out of the 3 days...does it make sense to do 2 nights at Las Or. and last night at VT? Then we would really have to rent a car! I was just going through all my literature I have accumulated and had printed out info from Don Carlos Hotel site about sunset rainforest tour which looks like fun. Ever hear of it? An night hike would be fun with Trevor!