Notices

reservation needed for El Novillo

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reservation needed for El Novillo

This restaurant gets such good reviews that our group of 9 really wants to eat there. Should we make reservations? Do they take reservations?
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM

We just ate at El Novillo last Friday. What a great view.. We went for lunch and we were only one of two tables taken. We found the food to be just average which was kind of a disapointment as everyone seems to love it! I will admit we just had salads, fries and chicken and rice. Maybe the meats are better. Still would go as the view can't be beat.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 07:04 AM

No reservation is needed. This is a no-frill place and food is good considering the price. I do not like the steak there but the sea brass is very good. And a plate of dinner with meat, rice, vegetabel cost 2800 before tax + service.

Quality of service depends on who serves you. I found there are a couple of reserved persons but one Indian looking girl is really friendly.

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:01 AM

Had to laugh when I read this. No, they probably don't take reservations. The first time we went past it I didn't even know it was a restaurant. A big high-roofed covered area, with the kitchen off to the side. You don't really see the sign until you go in. But yes, plenty of room for your group, and good inexpensive food, big portions.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM

You had chicken there? That was probably the problem. We had some of the best steak of our lives there last March.

We went in mid-March, on a week-night and easily got a table.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM

I actually had a salad..we went at lunch time so I wanted something on the lighter side. Next time I will get the beef.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM

Its fairly cheap and the foods reliable and -by CR standards- the steak is good but its not the best place to eat in the area.
great view when the weathers clear tho!
Las Nenes and Don Rufino in the town center of La Fortuna:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...una/index.html

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM

A funny story about this place. It used to be across the street, and was one of those big wooden and palm "ranchos". But it burned to the ground.

When he rebuilt across the street, it was with alumunium poles and concrete boards. So it won't burn again.

It is really less of a "Steakhouse" and more of a "Steak car port" with white plastic chairs.

But the views of the volcano are unmatched, and the steaks are very good. We make this stop often when we are in the Arenal area.

Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt
Costa Rica Travel Exchange
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:19 AM

they seem to accomodate large groups easily... since they can pull a bunch of the plastic tables together. We went there a few nights during the week between christmas & new years and never had to wait