Notices

Punta Uva...What to do and see besides the beach?

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punta Uva...What to do and see besides the beach?

My husband and I are staying near Punta Uva (Puerto Viejo) in March with our 9 year old twin boys. Besides enjoying the beach, what should we see in the area? Shillmac recommended Abel Bustamante as a guide for the area. How do I reach him? Are there good tours/wildlife viewing near there?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM

[email protected]

I believe that is his e-mail address. I have his phone number, but not with me right now. You can ask in Manzanillo at the little mini-Super. They know him, and his house is just a stone's throw from there--nice new 2 story right on the road (west side). Very well respected man--and delightful to spend time with. He is crazy about his own children and would love spending time with yours. The man is a natural teacher.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac, thanks for your quick reply! We can't wait. I've enjoyed your other postings on the Puerto Viejo area. Seems like not as many people go there, but we like "off the beaten" path. Last year, hubby and I went to Drake Bay, Bosque de Paz, and Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui and loved them all. We may become Costa Rica afficianados nuts like you!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I've seen kayaks for rent on Punta Uva and also in Manzanillo there is a rental shop who, besides kayaks and snorkeling equipment rentals, also has guides for snorkeling and dolphin tours, etc.

We've kayaked out from Manzanillo and then went up the calm creek at the south end of the beach.

There is a waterfall off the road and up a trail towards Bri Bri.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Earthtraveler...thanks! That sounds like an activity my 9 year olds would love.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM

We did NOTHING but "hang out" while we were there....but if you are interested in rafting, I heard that you can go to Rio Pacuare from there and it is one of the most scenic rivers for rafting in CR. I think there are canopy tours in the area as well. I also recommend renting bikes and riding all the way down the road through PV to the black sand beaches...you can also go the opposite way up to Manzanillo. There is also a hike in Manzanillo along the beach around the point where there are some beautiful views and a nice beach area to sit and watch the surfers...but be prepared to walk through some mud.