Puerto Jimenez horse riding and kayak questions

Old May 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Jimenez horse riding and kayak questions

I have been searching for something fun to do out of Puerto Jimenez. I remebered that Escondido Trex kayak tours have been highly recommended on these boards. I really like thier description of the several day kayak trips. Getting to camp on the beach and a dock sounds fun but I am afraid that I would get seasick from kayaking. Do people get seasick from kayaking? Is there a similar tour that is on horses?
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

sorry about all the typos!! just rubber fingers today...
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM

I get seasick easily if a boat is just idling in rough seas. But I've never gotten seasick while kayaking. It's just different.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:42 AM

I get seasick on boats and I get car sick but I have never been sick on a kayak. I am usually paddling my own so I think it is like driving. I don't get carsick if I am driving possibly because I have the steering wheel to hold on to.

The kayaks are sit on top types and are really stable. They also have doubles if your daughter isn't strong enough for the Gulfo Dulce.

That sounds like a fun trip and a great new way to see the Rincon area and the Gulfo Dulce. We go there to bird from the road and the birds are great. It would be a whole new experience to see the Gulf by kayak. We have done the mangrove tour several times and really enjoy it but it is only for a couple of hours. If you end up renting a house you can go sea kayaking from that area. Escondido Trex brings the kayaks up there and you can kayak (tide dependent) around the Arch rock and Cabo Matapalo. You could even check with the Morgans.

Don't know about overnight horseback trips on the Osa but one thing that I have learned about Costa Rica is that anything is possible. There are horseback riding trips in other parts of the country.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Hills27 and Suzie. That is so good to know. Now, I am going to go back to look at all those kayaking trips!
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I would love to go on a several day adventure but I think that we will start with a little one. The mangrove tour sounds very nice.Have you taken that one, Suzie?
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I have done it at least 3 times but I think it was more. I don't always keep track after awhile unless something really stands out plus we have kayaked in other places too. We really got lucky the last time. The trip is totally tide dependent and we just happened to be taking our snack/beach break and the guide pointed and yelled that there were dolphins following behind the Croc Bay boats coming in (late afternoon). We all jumped in our kayaks and were able to paddle along with them. We also saw a small sea turtle and an iguana swimming. I once saw a whole line of small rays swim along the coast by the Pearl/Iguana so you have a chance to see those out there while kayaking as well.

The mangrove part is just relaxing. Not terribly exciting. We have seen monkeys and a croc not to mention thousands of crabs. There are always interesting birds around too. You paddle around in the mangroves and then you haul your kayak up a slight hill and go to an absolutely beautiful beach for a snack and some splashing around. Then you get to kayak in the Gulfo Dulce as you go around a peninsula and back to the start.

I have actually gone for a horseback ride from the Pearl into the mangroves as well. During low tide you can just walk around in there. I do have to say that I have taken better horse rides but even a not so great horse ride is fun for me because I love to ride.

I really would like to do the sunset trip one of these times. The bioluminesence (sp?) is really neat. I have walked along the beach and splashed in it but being out in the Gulf in the dark totally surrounded would be awesome. There are times when you can actually combine the two trips but again, it is tide dependent. There are so many things that make the Gulfo Dulce special. It just breaks my heart to think about it being ruined and now that Croc Bay and the place across the gulf are talking about expanding I am really getting discouraged.

The one time I decided I wanted to try the ferry to Golfito out we had a whole pod of dolphins swimming along side us on the return trip which is around 11:00 a.m. so it is just a matter of luck when you will see the dolphins. I don't recommend the ferry unless you absolutely have to take it for something. I was very uncomfortable in it.

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suzie,

Both the mangrove tour and the sunset tour sound interesting. I had thought that there would be more animals to see going through the mangroves and less chance to get seasick but it sounds like you did not see a lot of animals on the mangrove tour. I would really like to see the photoluminescence. Knowing our family, which one would you recommend for us?

I was planning on taking the tour from Escondido Trex but there have been several positive posts, on Trip Advisor, about Adventuras Tropicals. I guess it would be too much to hope for to hear from someone who has been out with both. We do have quite a bit of time; so maybe someone will have a chance to try AT before we go. At this point, I am trying to figure out how much time to allow in each place so that I can make our plans for lodging.

Thank you for the heads up on the ferry. What are your thoughts on Golfito?

I am very, very sad about the plans to develope the Golfo Ducle. Maybe we could start another letter writing campaign and post the letter that was in the Tico Times. Possibly if people could contact someone in the Costa Rican Government and the companies that are considering building and boycot Crocodile Bay we could make a diffence. If you have any ideas or want to do this, please count me in.