Search

Puerto Viejo, MA or Montezuma

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Viejo, MA or Montezuma

Hey Folks,

With the help of this board, I've finally nailed down our itinerary to CR next August - at least I thought I had!!! After spending time in Monteverde and the Arenal areas (with our kids 15 ad 130, we were going to end our trip in Puerto Viejo. However after much reading/surfing/gnashing of teeth, I'm concerned that the PV area, based on comments, may be a little to seamy/rough.

If we're looking to end our trip with a nice beach area should we stick to PV or consider MA or Montezuma areas?

Thanks for any and all replies
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Sorry -- our kids our 15 and 13, not 130!!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM

I would stick with PV, but that's because I loved it there. I took my 10 year old by myself earlier this year and are returning next Spring. Have common sense about walking around at night (we always took taxis home after dark, but this we would do pretty much anywhere). The beaches are great and the area has a nice flavor. PV also has some of the best food we had in CR. I think if you go now you will be thankful because it will continue to be more built up and touristy as time goes on. Last trip we stayed at Banana Azul on Playa Negra, next trip will be at Azania Bungalows at Playa Cocles.

At least you still have quite some time to decide!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hipvirgochick,

If we go to PV then we're looking at Banana Azul, Cashew Hill or Costa de Papito...I will check out the Azania Bungalows though.

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM

La Costa de Pepito is a good choice as well, but we really liked Azania also.

It can be considered seamy, of course. Most of the beach areas could be characterized that way, including Montezuma. But as hvc said, common sense goes a LONG way. My husband and I are in our 50's and have spent a lot of time there. And my older daughter and I spent a few days there together back in 2004--there were no problems whatsoever. We really like it--it's very different! And yes, the food is great! The 4 of you would enjoy bike riding together on the road between PV and Manzanillo. Your kids aren't going to be out partying, drinking, meeting strangers in bars, etc. No worries!

I agree with hip that it is an area worth seeing before it changes too much!
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Banana Azul is my favorite place in Puerto Viejo but they have a policy of not allowing guests under the age of 16. I haven't stayed at Cashew Hill but the property is a but remote and require walking through a remote part of town. I personally know two people who have been robbed at knife point while walking in the area at night