Search

villa on yal-ku lagoon

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
villa on yal-ku lagoon

I am looking at villas on yal-ku lagoon and am wondering the pros and cons of staying there. We are two families with 3 teenagers. Ages 13, 15 and 16. Does anyone have any villa recommendations?
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Yal-Ku lagoon is at the northern end of Akumal. It's a great place to snorkel, and it's a fairly quiet residential area. However, I'm not sure if there is a sandy beach within walking distance. Half Moon Bay is a few miles south, and Akumal Bay in central Akumal is another mile or so further. These both have nice sandy beaches, and Akumal Bay Beach is the best for swimming.
Most restaurants and shops are clustered around central Akumal, so you will need to drive or bicycle from Yal-Ku to most evening activity. However, even central Akumal is quite low key .
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Depends on where the villa is also. Don't forget that tour groups from CUN and PDC (and AI's) bring large vans of snorkelers into Yal-ku as part of a tour. It could get a little crowded at times. The snorkelers won't be on any casa's property , but the groups are all over the lagoon . It is a beautiful place and the villas there are fantastic. If the villa is located more toward the ocean it may not get as crowded.
Half Moon Bay is definitely within walking distance , Akumal is do-able, but can be a very hot trek. You can't walk to Akumal Bay along the coast from HM Bay due to the rocky coast, you will be on the road for the majority of the walk. Half Moon Bay is not really a swimming beach, it is great for snorkeling, you will need reef type shoes to access the water. Tevas, Keens etc.
Have you looked at the villa locations and checked out Locogringo? Great info!
Our kids have been going to Akumal with us for years, they were in their early teens as well. We all
still go yearly and our 5 year old grandson wil make his 6th trip to Akumal and our 16 month old grandaughter will make her second trip!
Your kids will love it, there is a very active school/library in Akumal...Hekab-be. We are long time supporters and a lot of families with kids visit the school and donate school supplies, money etc. It's great to see the interaction of the visiting kids and the locals.
There is also an active eco-group. We are members and they do a wonderful job. CEA (Centro Ecological Akumal). Good educational programs and your kids would really enjoy any turtle watches or walks they organize.
Check them out while you are there.
Hekab-be is on the left as you enter Akumal from 307 and CEA is on the north end of Akumal Bay by the Original Akumal Dive Shop. Do plan on snorkeling Akumal Bay, lot of turtles and schools of fish. Hope this helps.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. The lagoon looks great and I know the kids would love the freedom of it. We are looking at Villa de Sol. Was wondering if anyone has stayed there? Is is too far back into the lagoon? Should I try to get farther toward the center?
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM

The house is great..did you know this about it?
It was formerly owned by Vince Welnick, keyboard player for the Grateful Dead, and the house has artistic touches by his artist friends from California.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Parrmt
Have you stayed at this villa? I will be there in July. Was wondering how the bugs will be. I know that the villa sits back in the lagoon. Does it get any breeze? Can you tell me anything about it? It looks pretty cool from the pictures on the internet. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Sorry, SMom we have not stayed there. Bugs?? I doubt it unless there is no breeze and the mosquitos are out...there is always the few stray ants in the kitchens if you leave food out...teeny ones only.
Not sure about the breeze ,no matter where you stay there are days the wind is so quiet and the bugs pop out...or it's quite breezey .Just can't predict it.
Have fun! You will love the area.