Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

4 Adults 3 young children seek beachfront Villa? in Tulum or Akumal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning March 2007 week vacation in Tulum or Akumal area?
Two Couples in late 30's with 3 kids (ages 3,4,5)
Do NOT like "all inclusives".

Priorities:
1) On the beach. Walk out door to the beach. Beach that has sand and snorkeling. Would like a caribbean experience. Palm Trees on beach.

2) Don't want to feel hostage to the property. Would like the opportunity to go for some day trips and to some local restaurants.

3) We like smaller properties but would consider resorts for services... Pool would be nice but not necessary as the beach is the priority.

Was thinking about renting a villa with 3 bedrooms or condo or small hotel?

Past Experiences:
Cozumel at Hotel Presidente also a trip to Caneel Bay in St John. Would love to find an affordable Caneel Bay beach experience in Mexico without the stuffiness... since we have kids with us ages 3,4,5

Budget for accomodations only for 4 Adults and 3 kids
[3K to 4K a week]
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:08 AM

This is the first place I thought of:
http://differentworld.com/mexico/hot...s/entrance.htm

Problem is...Tulum has the best beaches - sandy; but no snorkling unless you take a boat out to the reef.

Akumal is known for it's snorkling, but many areas of the beaches are rocky or grassy.

Best place in Akumal is Las Casitas - but not sure if that's what you are looking for in terms of service/ameneties if you're looking for a comparison to Cannel Bay. But the location is great and an easy walk to a few restaurants.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I think if you're looking for something next month it's going to be a hard time finding anything regardless of what you would like to have. It's high season down there in March. Budget accommodations at this time of year at this late date will be difficult. I wish you luck.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:04 AM

try VRBO , they have a website and you may find something you like, you make a deal with owners . we have done this for many years with great results!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM

hi eric, i agree w/colokid, you need to find your spot asap. try going to www.locogringo.com - when i emailed them with my specific requirements and dates they responded the next day with several options. we chose casa cavu on tankah bay (approx 1/2 way between tulum and akumal) we had 3br, pool, walk out doors directly onto beach. great house!! snorkeling was good but odd thermals made the water close to shore hard to see through sometimes. they provided kayaks though to get closer to the reef and clearer water. a short walk down the beach either direction to sandy swimming. soliman bay just up the hwy 307 is nice as well.
in akumal the akumal beach club might work for you. i believe it is ai optional. but has good location on sandy beach just outside akumal casita. near to numerous restaurants. and nearby would be yal-ku lagoon with some of biggest fish i've seen.
locogringo can arrange transfer from airport. a van for just your group. sign outside airport doors - then directly to your place. (actually our driver allowed us a 45 min stop in pdc grocery -get fresh milk there or at tiny store just outside akumal stone entry gate.) we picked up our rental in akumal the next morning.