truth about La Mariposa

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:50 PM
judy

truth about La Mariposa

I need an updated report from anyone who knows about La Mariposa. I've read reports from horrible to wonderful. I don't like a lot of glitz, just clean and naturally beautiful.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:18 PM
leslie

why dont you just stay at tulemar bungalows. I have heard wonderful things about them. i have not stayed there but plan to next may.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 04:05 AM
????????

Where is it? Which one?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:57 AM
judy

La Mariposa in Manuel Antonio.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Ally

Judy,
I've not stayed there, but did check out a room and it looked fabulous. We almost decided to change hotels, but decided that we did not the want hassle and expense. (La Mariposa was much more expensive than Villa Nicolas where we were staying.) The room they showed us at La Mariposa was NOT one of the rooms in the tower, but a room in one of the 'side' buildings. It was VERY large..even the bathroom was large, it looked very clean and inviting,and the patio had a beautiful view. We would consider staying there on another trip.The bar at La Mariposa was our favorite spot for Happy Hour, as it has FANTASTIC sunset views and for some reason was never crowded. Maybe because we were there in late September? We also had one dinner there which was good, but a little pricey. We prefered Karolas, which is directly across the street from La Mariposa.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Robbie

Hard to imagine that anyone would think it is "horrible". I live in Manuel Antonio and stayed there on my weddng anniversary last year. Room was lovely, view was fabulous, in fact the room we had had a hot tub on the balcony that overlooked Manuel Antonio Beach. What could be more romantic? Flocks of birds flying by, monkeys a hot tub and a big beautiful room with a lovely view. Even local folks often dine there for the view, which is lovely.
I own a more moderate priced hotel in Manuel Antonio, so I chose the Mariposa when deciding where to spend a special night and I know every hotel in town!
Best wishes!
Robbie
[email protected]

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:34 AM
casey

What's the trouble with Mariposa? Simple...they're not consistent. The manager is a friend of mine and I hate to badmouth the place (i stay there about once a month), but there is a reason why the get such mixed reviews...they offer very mixed rooms, service and amenities. As long as you stay in the NEW building (the white one they show in all the pics) in one of the high end rooms, you'll be happy. These rooms are very, very nice and have great views. The cheaper rooms in the older sections of the hotel are just not maintained though still OK, are very disappointing to guests who were expecting luxury. AVOID THE RESTAURANT. The restaurant is run independently of the hotel and thus, guests of the hotel don't feel that they're treated any better than non-guests. In fact, the service is lousy and the food overpriced.

In my opinion, Mariposa is situated on the best piece of real estate in Manuel Antonio (maybe any beach?) and the views are worth the $$$. The pool bar is neat, the sun deck by the main swimming pool offers great views and the overall feel of the hotel is quite nice. As long as you go high end and demand good service, you'll be pleased...

Regards,

Casey

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
diana

Casey and Robbie,
My husband and I had two of the best vacations of our lives at La Mariposa -- but this was in 1988 and 1989. We stayed in the "villas," which I suppose is what Casey calls the older part. We had a large split-level room and large balcony, with the most beautiful view ever. The rooms were not luxurious but were very comfortable. A guy named David owned it; the food was excellent; the staff were great.
We've thought about going back since then, but I know the ownership has changed. I worry that we'll be disappointed that the area is built up. We used to hike into Third Beach every morning; on weekdays, there were only a few people there. Then we'd get back to the Mariposa by bus or cab; take a dip in the pool, sit on our balcony with a rum and coke; then get ready for a great dinner. It was paradise. Would we be disappointed if we went back, considering that we loved it "way back when"?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:04 PM
mike d

Judy,

Let me apologize in advance for having no patience for ignorance, but whoever called La Mariposa "Horrible" has no clue about traveling in style. It's a shame that individuals with such inferior levels of class ever decide to leave their homes in South Florida. Probably isn't a good idea to take advice from people that call the Piccadilly cafeteria a fine dining experience. I hope their discount cruise ship stays far away from my next trip.