Tranquility Bay - San Pedro

Jul 25th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Tranquility Bay - San Pedro

Looking for more information on this place. It sounds like the best spot to snorkel from San Pedro right off their beach and the only place safely swimmable to the reef from SP. Can anyone confirm? This plus the free use of kayaks and short distance to reef outweigh's distance to town and $95/ doub occu seems like a good deal.

Any experience here or other suggestions?
Jul 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Its the most northern inn on the caye a few hundred yards from the reef. Quite nice, far from town and other places to dine and drink. Perfect for people who want to swim or paddle to the reef and do not need to be near town or have access to many other places.
Jul 26th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Pretty much as Katie says. I had lunch on the beach next door last winter. Tranquility Bay does look nice. The beach looks lovely.

Far too isolated for me, I need access to town, but, as long as you know going in that access is limited/expensive, it would be a great place to stay.
Jul 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both of your advice.

For Katie, the guidebooks say that pretty much verbatum but wonder if you can give a little insight as to the vibe here. I understand you are a tour operator there but just trying to get a little more firsthand insight.

For Jean -- The isolation was part of the appeal, plus closest access to the reef. Do you know if they clear out the seagrass here? In your opinion would we be better off staying in the hub here and doing the quiet stuff in Caye Caulker or Glover's Atoll instead?
Jul 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received answers from TBR today and I think it will be good for us. Price and location is perfect. Thanks for the insight!
Jul 27th, 2010, 04:54 AM

It sounds as though you have made your decision. I don't know about the sea grass. I don't notice it much. It's just there. It might be different that close to the reef.

Caye Caulker is quieter than San Pedro, but, you won't be isolated staying there. Fun little island for a few days.

Where else are you going in Belize and when do you travel?
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM

hip, Caye Caulker has a big lobster fest every year. It sounded like it would be a lot of fun. It's around the time that you usually travel. I think you guys will really enjoy Belize.
Jul 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Jean -- Depending on how the rest of the trip pans out this hotel looks good, but you never know. I would like to include one beachy area that's out of the way, but I'm sure there's no shortage of them...Trip isn't until next year but I'm trying to get a sense of costs and how much time I'll want between Belize/Guatemala. I'm not sure where else I want to go yet except a few days at Macal River Camp.

vgirl -- Thanks for the tip. Sounds wonderful!