Search

ambergris caye

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ambergris caye

Any advice on the differences between Captain Morgan's versus Banyan Bay Villas? ie:general accomodations of each, location to restaurants and the city sights,help with setting up excursions.
we are a family of 6 that is looking into Belize for Christmas. We may be staying in two facilities. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:34 AM

I haven't stayed at either property, but have looked around both places. Banyan Bay is south of town, but not too far, so would make it much easier to get to most restaurants.

Captain Morgan's is north of the 'cut', making it more of a hassle to get to town. You would either need a golf cart or take a water taxi. We rented bikes and rode up there, but I wouldn't want to do that at night. If you plan on spending quite a bit of time in town, I'd opt for Banyan Bay.

Jean
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I've stayed at both places. Of the two, I far prefer Banyan Bay. It has all two-bedroom, two-bath units, very large (over 1000 sq. ft), beautifully decorated, well-maintained. There's a large pool, and it's on one of the beach beaches on the island (Mar de Tumbo). Banyan Bay is about 1 1/2 miles south of town (San Pedro is definitely not a city!) and as Jean says Captain Morgan's is north of the cut, which limits your options for visiting restaurants and nightlife, especially at night.

I also like Xanadu, The Palms and Banana Beach, all condotels south of town. Belizean Shores is a good condotel choice north of the cut.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 11:26 AM
TC

We stayed at BB and loved it. Great facility with good people. Easy beach walk to town.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM

We stayed at Capt Morgan's and loved it. We didn't mind being north of town and taking water taxis. There are great restaurants north of town (Capricorns, I highly recommend it). The suites at Capt Morgan's were very spacious, clean and comfortable. They have a/c and they have 2 bedroom ones as well. They have a beach front pool, staff was very friendly and they have a full service tour desk to arrange any excursion you want. The bungalows are right on the beach.

If you will spend lots of time in town than I suppose BB is best for you, but we did like Capt Morgan's and never once felt like we missed something.

It's also less crowded feeling north of town. Our resort was fully booked, but we couldn't even tell. We enjoyed that aspect of it.

Stacey
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Banyan Bay rocks!! Beautiful property, thought seriously about buying a time share after staying but don't think it would have been a good idea...