Search

Tough Choices

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough Choices

Hola,

We are a family of 5 travelling to CR the 28th of March. We are trying to decide if we would enjoy the Canyon Trek-Waterfall Rapelling adventure or the Zip Line canopy tour the most. We cant afford to do both.

Would love to hear from someone that has done both!

Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:41 AM

My family did both! I booked it for them, though I didn't do it myself. I asked them all for feedback, of course. They thought the Sky Trek/Sky Tram zip-line was the best overall, and my husband thought it was the best deal for the money. However they did like the Puretrek canyon waterfall rapelling...they thought it was a unique experience, but it wasn't their #1 favorite because their group was really rushed along, in fact they were practically pushed over the edge, and they would have liked to go more slowly and appreciate the area and the experience. (I think it was the 2nd tour of the day and the leaders had gotten behind, but that is no excuse!)

So therefore I would say they preferred the zip-line if you are only going to do one.

Also if you have any daughters, my daughters, who were older teens, complained that the equipment you have to wear for the waterfall canyoning, including the helmets, smell bad!!! Seriously!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Melissa5,

Thanks for your input. For the money, we will probably do the Zip Lines. The smell issue would definitely be a factor for my wife and daughter. The real issue for us is the money though.

Fisherking
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Fisherking:
We did the zipline in Monteverde, which I believe is similar to Arenal's. It's a blast, and if you have to choose just one, that would probably be it. I just want to add my two cents on the Pure Trek canyoning because my experience was different. Our tour was also the second of the day, but we were not rushed a bit. I also did not notice any bad smells from the helmet, and all the equipment seemed in excellent shape (nothing shoddy about this operation, which is why it's so expensive). We had such a good time with it last year, we're doing it again in a few weeks, along with Skytrek. Have fun!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM

We first traveled to CR in 2001 with our 3 young adult kids. I hear you on the $$ issue! It is, for most of us, a matter of pick and choose.

If you select the ziplines, do compare Skytrek with the zips offered at Arenal Paraiso. I hear they are very good (about 18 cables and platforms) and only $45.

We will be there next week and have a couple of people who want to do the zips, so I've been checking prices lately. Good luck and have fun!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM

We (2 adults, 2 14 yr) have done both. I would go for the PureTrek waterfall rappelling. It is an experience that you won't find any where else. There are zip lines all over. We didn't feel rushed, & thought the equipment was fine (no smell). You will get wet! The guides were a lot of fun. The zip line is also fun, very high & fast. It is more like an amusement park ride. We had been zip lining near Jaco & liked that one better because the platforms were built on the trees (and you actually zip lined through the forest) not free standing & above the trees like the Sky Trek. But both were a lot of fun, even for those afraid of heights!