Search

Monteverde Activities

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monteverde Activities

We will be in Monteverde from about noon to three pm the next day (27 hours) in February. We are staying at the Monteverde Lodge. I have two kids 7 & 11 and want suggestions on activities.

A canopy tour and skywalk is on the agenda for the first afternoon. I am trying to decide between Selvatura or Sky Trek/Skywalk company.

The next morning we are planning to take a guided tour of the reserve. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:01 PM

My wife and I did the Selvatura canopy at 7:45am and hiked around the hanging bridges and whatnot mid-day. Very cool - we stumbled upon a whole pack of white-faced monkeys throwing leaves at us! Selvatura was great and worth the trip - Monteverde is great but we were ready to leave after our 2-night stay.
Food suggection: Stella's Bakery
Have fun!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I think your kids would enjoy the Buterfly Garden. It is a lovely place where you can take great pictures of buterflies.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Just returned from a wonderful time in CR. I would suggest the Sky Walk and Sky Trek-- canopy bridges and zip line. It is ~$40/person but well worth it. The guides on the zip were great. There are 11 zips in all and you will have the time of your life. Not sure if there is an age limit on that but I did see some kids doing it. I would also ditto on the Butterfly Garden--it is very interesting, takes about 2 hrs and costs ~$6 person. You will need to go early in the day (10-2) because when it starts getting cool in the afternoon the butterflies hide. Another thing that we didn't get to do because we were there on a holiday and it was closed was the Lecheria (Cheese Factory). It is supposed to be interesting and they also have ice cream! The Hummingbird Gallery was nice although we didn't actually go inside --it looked like a gift shop to us. We did see LOTS of amazing hummingbirds flying all around the front of the place. Hope this helps. Have a great time!!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:33 PM

My then 7 and 9 yos enjoyed the Frog Pond, the Butterfly Garden and the guided tour of the Monteverde Reserve. We were sorry to have missed the Night Tour at the Monteverde Reserve. Monteverde Lodge also had a good slide show.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:49 AM

We enjoyed the Selvatura zip lines and bridges a lot. In addition to a daytime reserve guided tour, we took the night walk at the Children's Cloud Forest.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Nothing to add - Just a note about the gift shop mentioned by ktyryn. I saw several things in this shop that I have not seen elsewhere in CR. I have always been disappointed that I did not purchase the wind chimes that I spotted here. Just assumed I would see them everywhere.

A side note, for the coffee lovers. If you like the Monteverde Coffee, buy it before you leave the area. You will not find it in the supermarkets.