Too hot in December for Brazil?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just spent all day planning a Christmas-time visit to Brazil, without focusing on the fact that it might be too hot and humid! Our itinerary would be Costa Verde, Rio and Iguazu. We do not have another time to visit. We will be traveling with teenagers. thanks for any input on how steamy we might expect the weather to be....
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM

Rio around Christmas could get expensive with all the tourists going for New Years. I would try and check availability "NOW" and prices if I were you.

Temp in Rio during that time of year is hot, avg. temp. is about
30-35 cel.(86-95.F.) It can reach 40+(105.F)on some days.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is that you may be too late to book for Rio and possibly Iguazu, too. I tried to book for Rio in December of this past year, and there was very limited availability for Christmas/New Year's of 2009. And prices were sky-high. Same was true for flights to Iguazu.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM

hiya, your best bet I think would be the costa verde for new year and possibly Christmas, it will be fun, busy but not as busy as Rio, and Rio is very expensive and busy over new year and christmas with many hotels wanting a minimum of 3-4 days packages and you haveing to pay for all nights even if just use one or two. They will also probably be mostly booked up by now. re the weather, who knows, this past christmas was fine and so was new year and we hardly had any days in summer when it went over or to 40oC, it was around 35 most days, however the year before it started raining on Dec 30th and only really stopped on jan 19th. DON't forget this is a tropical place, you're coming to a city with the BIGGEST URBAN RAINFOREST in it and for it to be green it RAINS !!!!!!! It could rain at any time and for any length. It will be warm or hot, thats guaranteed, but DRY is not. Your teenagers will have a blast whatever and you can dive and walk and swim whatever the weather. Costa verde-are you doing Paraty and nearby or ilha grande? If you need any more help please let me know.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks, now we're thinking about Argentina, BA and the Lake District, for various reasons. I've just finished putting the flights on hold. Were able to get three of our tickets on frequent flier miles; otherwise, we would not have done this trip!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM

I went in December of 2006 and I still have my tan lines!! First time in my life I was sunburned - I blistered and peeled for 3 weeks. I'm pretty dark skinned. So be extremely generous with sunscreen the sun is very strong. Temperature wise, it was 46 degrees celsius but totally worth it!

Iguassu is a killer though, I think it was 50 degress there - you'll be literally soaking wet as soon as you get up...just enjoy.