Search

Christmas in...?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in...?

IF you could or if you have spent Xmas week outside the US, where would you or did you go and enjoy it?

We are going to Costa Rica in October and spent a week in Paris in May so those places are out. Considered Scotland but it's going to be cold, dreary and desolate at that time of year (or so we think).

Currently considering Peru or Buenes Aries or maybe Morocco (although wanted to combine it with a few days in Spain and it also might be slow that time of year).

TIA!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM

One thing to consider is daylight hours at that time of year. We took the family to Holland for Christmas one year and loved every minute of it but forgot the sun came up at 9am and was setting at 4pm....add to that total overcast, cloudy weather and we never saw much daylight much less the sun in 10 days!! Thank goodness for the warm Dutch people!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 09:12 AM

It very much depends how you want to spend your time, how long you have, what sort of budget etc. If you want your money to go a long way then Buenos Aires but it 'is' a city, think whether you want beaches, islands, safari, history and culture etc and that will help to give ideas. Of course Asia has a lot of choices too.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

It won't be a full beach vacation since that's what we are planning to spend some time doing in Costa Rica. Boyfriend loves the city and is an architect. I can't sightsee 24/7 however and have no qualms about leaving him to look at 19th century architechture of the xanadu period (or whatever) and go off to sightsee on own.

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
bwanamitch

Well, since this is the Africa forum:
I spent Xmas 99 and the Millennium New Year in Botswana, a wonderful trip. The New Year's party on Acacia Island near Vumbura was one of the best I've ever done.

Mitch

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:23 AM

I'd recommend Morocco over Christmas only if you want to escape the festive season. Moroccans obviously don't celebrate it, and the only "action" is in hotels, restaurants and nightclubs that cater specifically for tourists. Very tacky and expensive by Moroccan standards.