Christmas in Buenos Aires

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in Buenos Aires

Ok, it's settled. I don't have to wait as long as I thought to visit Buenos Aires. My friend and I are going for two weeks over the Christmas holidays.
We'll most likely be going the last two weeks in December, and heading home by Dec 28th.
So I'll be interested in hearing about any special things to do at this time of year. Any special celebrations or local traditions.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Not a very good time to come, Ms. President, the way I see it.

It will be warm and shopping will be crowded, as well as hotels.

At this time, I cannot think of any "special celebrations or local traditions."
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

I know, but we'll suffer through the crowds. We want to go away at Christmas anyway, and we both want to visit BsAs, so this kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Will it be really hot? and really crowded?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM

It is often pretty warm at that time of the year, but with weather you never know and you COULD get lucky.

Being near Christmas, shopping should be quite crowded.

Am I one of the birds you want to kill, Ms. President?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Poor choice of words. I wouldn't kill a flea. ...never mind a bird. I'm quite a bird lover, actually. ... but roosters? hmm, I'll have to think about that one!! LOL

I've done my research on temperatures in Dec, and it seems it's usually between 20 and 30c. Does that sound about right? Last Christmas was 28c. NOt too bad.. It's when it gets up to 35 that I start to get uncomfortable.

I've been in London and also New York City at Christmas and they were very crowded, but I didn't mind. SO we should be ok.
We'll jsut be sure to book our hotel or apartment early.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM

We were in BA in December 2005. It was warm but not too hot. We actually spent Christmas Day in San Martin de los Andes. It was very nice and low-key, with just enough restaurants open to keep us fed, not as frenetic as Christmas in the US. Christmas Eve seemed to be the big night, though, with special menus in all the restaurants and all the families there.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:38 PM

We just returned from two weeks at Christmas/New Year's. We were actually in Bariloche on Christmas and did a full day of touring. Great Christmas Eve's gala at Llao Llao. After a trip to El Califate (best part of our trip), we returned to BA for New Year's -- BA is absolutely dead for New Year's so good to return before the 1st (knowing this, we would have stayed down in Patagonia). My read is the holidays are relatively low key...time to spend with family. Can provide other details; we planned our southern itinerary using Cintia at WOWArgentina!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the information. SOunds like you both had a great time.
We aren't looking for any wild celebrations, so it's ok that things will be quiet. WE'll have to find something nice to do on Christmas Eve. As long as we can find a nice place to eat on Christmas day , we'll be happy!

Unfortunately, we don't feel we have time to visit the southern part of the country, but I'm already thinking of a second trip to focus on that area. It sounds wonderful!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM

For next time, the weeks before Christmas are a great time to go to our South, Ms. President!!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM

kodi, think the way my husband has started to think...New Years Eve-Rio .... lol.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett, I like the way your husband thinks! But we'll be home by New Year's..
AV, coming before Christmas could be a bit of a problem. We like to take advantage of our own time off work to stretch it into a vacation.
But more than that, we want to be away for Christmas. So something like the 14th to the 28th is perfect for us.

So AV if you could try and arrange good weather for us, we'd be very happy! WE don't mind the warm temeratures, but keep the rain away!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM

For weather matters, please contact the Guy up there, Ms. President.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

WEll, AV, to be honest, the Guy up there is usually very good to me when it comes to weather on vacations.
My mom always said I brought her luck when we travelled together. She said the sun always shone on me... and it did seem that we always had beautiful weather. I hope my good fortune continues.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Any suggestions for what to do on New Years Eve and New Years Day in BA? We are my husband and I, with our 2 kids, 17 & 22.