Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Todos Santos, Los Barriles, or Cabo Pulmo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although my husband and I are in love with the Caribbean side of Mexico, we are tempted to be wooed to Baja. Any suggestions in Todos Santos, Las Barriles, Cabo Pulmo (or anywhere else in Baja,not Cabo)to enjoy beach life, village life, and some peace?
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:43 PM

All of the places you mention are very laid back. Todos Santos is "artsy", Las Barilles is small with one resort and Snowbirds in RV's, and Cabo Pulmo is just a beach were you can snorkel. If you want civilization, try La Paz. Again, rather quiet, but relaxing. Great beaches to the North of La Paz. Check out Club Moro (sp?) for a place to stay. Nice boardwalk, cheaper than Los cabos area. La Paz has an airport, but not all US carriers land there.
I have never been to the Caribbean side, so I can't give you a comparison. Baja here isn't as developed for the gringo tourist.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM

My son and I stayed at Cabo Pulmo two years ago to do nothing, except snorkle, fish and read books. The cabanas have fans and are comfortable. Some have solar power.There is a simple, but good place to eat on the beach, one local bar and there was an ex pat who had overpriced dinners, but she was an interesting character such as they would profile in The New Yorker. There is not much of village life because most of the owners are foreign folks. There is a dive shop there, as this is the only reef around. You can drive up to Punta Colorado to get fancier digs.

All of these places require a rental car.

Have fun, you will either love Baja or find it the pits. I have been back 10 times.