cabo san lucas or la paz or los cabos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about going to either cabo san lucas or la paz at the end of February. Don't know too much about either, heard good things about both, so just looking to get some info in order to make a choice. Not big into the party scene. Hub and I just looking to get away for a week or so. Also, can the whale migration be seen from the shore and will it be beach weather? Thank you Fodorites!
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM

La Paz is a great choice. I used to travel there with my family as a kid and was recently back in the area as I work with one of the hotels. It's very laid back and was nice to see that it has kept it's authentic charms - not a big party scene. February is prime whale watching season, and you can take several charters out from the Marina at CostaBaja. Weather is around high 70's. Wherever you end up, enjoy!
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Do you prefer it over cabo san lucas?
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to both La Paz and Cabo San Lucas. Both great. Completely different.

La Paz lives up to it's name of "peace", it's more a normal Mexican city, less touristy. I really liked Club El Moro hotel there. Activities are more related to stuff you can do on the Sea of Cortez like kayaking, camping, boating. To get to nice beaches you need to drive out of town north or south a bit.

Cabo San Lucas is more a tourist center, with much more aimed specifically at visitors. It's very beautiful and the town has fantastic restaurants, good shopping, Medano Beach to hang out.

It just depends what you are looking for. Either would work just to "get away" for a week.

In Cabo you don't really need a rental car. In La Paz you might want one.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM

La Paz- Mexico
Cabo- San Diego South IMO
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM

I disagree. I didn't find Cabo to be anything like San Diego or the U.S. Sorry Stewbear. When's the last time you were there?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
San Diego anywhere sounds good to me!
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM

WITH English menus & prices in dollars at the vast majority of cafés I find it just like San Diego vastly over priced.
We have had this debate before so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. But then we do agree on almost everything else.
PS Had a great dinner last night here in Zihua for 40 pesos including a 10 peso tip. You really got to get South one of these trips!
PPS Still planning on being in PV the first part February.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM

<b>Not big into the party scene.</b>

La Paz has a much less active 'party scene' than Cabo, though there are parts of Los Cabos (which refers to the general area between Cabo and San Jose de Cabo) which are more peaceful.

<b>Hub and I just looking to get away for a week or so.</b>

In a week you can easily do both places, 2-3 nights in each, flying in/out of the San Jose airport and doing a loop around the entire area to see it all.

<b>Also, can the whale migration be seen from the shore</b>

In Cabo yes (open ocean on 3 sides), in La Paz no (in a bay), another reason to perhaps try both places. Though even in Cabo you will see the whales much better on a boat tour. Just avoid the Booze Cruise.

<b>and will it be beach weather? </b>

Bright and sunny in the afternoon but not really warm.

My personal take on it is that Cabo is better for active people who are doing things like golfing, deep sea fishing (one of the best places in the world, Feb is a good month for striped marlin), SCUBA diving (though La Paz is near some good diving areas too). And the party scene, which is fun for a couple of days but then gets old.

La Paz is much more laid back and relaxed but when I want a laid back place in Baja Sur I go to either East Cape (on the Cortez side) or, better unless you are fishing, to Todos Santos on the Pacific side. Todos Santos is a tiny town with about 5,000 residents (unlike La Paz, which to me is very crowded and has around 250,000) with a bit of an artist colony vibe and probably the best restaurant in Baja. I wouldn't stay there for more than a couple of days though.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Many of the places I ate in Cabo has their menus in peso and in Spanish. If you hang around on the inland side of L. Cardenas it's a regular Mexican town. While certainly there are nightclubs and such, and the Marina is uber-touristy, you don't have to go to them and can have a lovely laid back vacation right in downtown Cabo.

Certainly Cabo is more expensive that some other destinations, and no you aren't going to get a $4 meal at a nice restaurant in central downtown. But there are loads of lovely places to eat. www.misionesdekino.com was a favorite. Or my hotel www.mardecortez.com for less than $70/night.

I'm not saying this is right for the original questions asked on this post, just saying Cabo is more than "San Diego south". The fact that we disagree just means you haven't explored things enough there.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I like Cabo, but Stewbear is beginning to convince me to step out of my comfort zone and explore Zihua!!
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM

Well 40 pesos is not the average price for dinner but is at Papa Locas one of my favorites.
A good average meal in Zihua will run you from 80 to 140 pesos. With the Peso at 13.82 last time I got some that's well under $10 US for a quality meal.
AS A example 10 of us went to Lety's possibly the best café in town. I had Garlic Shrimp with a larg medley of veggies, rice, tortillas & a soft drink for 112 pesos plus tip. Thats about $8.50 US.
Now there are places the same meal, probably not as good, would run you 300 pesos or more. I do not go to those places.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stewbear: we are also interested in Zihua or Costa Allegre. Where do you fly in/out of, connect thru? Do you have any trip reports or blogs? We will be in Loreto next month. Any advice?

MY
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Zihua has a International airport with connections to most US & Canadian cities,
Among the airlines are Alaska,Delta, Continetial, Air Canada, Volaris & Interjet to name but a few.