la paz to San Jjose del Cabo

Feb 16th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

la paz to San Jjose del Cabo

To those of you who have driven i the La Paz area-two questions please. What is the best route to drive out of downtown La Paz to the San Jose del Cabo area? And what are the car rental locations available in downtown La Paz that I may not have found on the internet? Thank you!
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Not sure of your purpose but we hired a car a few years ago to do the circuit down the East cape (highway 1)stopping several places & getting into San Jose for lunch. Then on to Cabo (about 30 minutes there was plenty) then on to Todas Santos up 19 back to La Paz.. If your final destination is San Jose take Highway 1 avoiding Cabo. We paid our driver 100 USD Plus a 20 USD tip & of course his lunch.
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

We have rented a car and are using it for the last days of our vacation-first, to get us from La Paz to SJD, then to see the area while we stay in the resort area of SJD.
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:25 AM

I took the bus from La Paz to San Jose (and back) - the signage pointing to "Cabo" were prominent.
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Just completed our La Paz/San Jose del Cabo trip. One big important tip for the bus-everyone tells you to ask for the short route to La Paz from San Jose del Cabo bus station. Make sure it is via Todos Santos and not San Bartolo. I speak spanish. I asked if it was the short route, neglecting to specify the Todos Santos route. I was told it was the shortest. We ended on long, winding, mountain roads with stops at every tiny town on the way...the San Bartolo way. I cannot emphasize enough to specify "la ruta por Todos Santos, no por San Bartolo". Unless you really want to see the country side slooooowly. It can be a good thing for different people, but as it is, even the Todos Santos route is about 2 1/2 hours.

Search this Thread