Search

Family vacation in Cabo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family vacation in Cabo

We have the use of a time share in Cabo late in November. Two kids (7 and 12), the wife and I.

We're looking for travel tips. We live in CT. We expect to fly straight to Cabo, but are curious about other options -- fly to La Paz, and rent a car so that we can get a nice little family road trip into the agenda?

The kids are well seasoned in roadtripping, and as a family, we consider it a favorite sport. We have tons of travel experience in the US, but this is only our second international trip.

Mi esposa y yo aprendiendo espanol, y nuestros hijos son mas intelligentes que nosotros, asi que la communicacion debe estar bien.

Or at least it shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Does anyone have advice on flying, driving, or anything else?

Muchas gracias,
Dan
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm... I'm not sure how much specific help I can be, but the Baja is a great place to visit. I've been to both La Paz and Cabo San Lucas (just once each). Sure I guess you could fly into La Paz then road trip. But you could also just fly in & out of Cabo and rent a car and take a couple day trips with that as your base. Up to Todos Santos is closer. Could be done alone or combined with the bit longer drive over to La Paz. It can be a day trip, but I'd recommend spending at least one night. I really liked Club El Moro (as a place to stay in La Paz).

OR you could just go to Cabo. Depending where your timeshare is located, you could possibly not need a rental car at all. Just depends the location and your preference. Driving in Mexico is a bit of a unique experience, so some people avoid it. If you decide to be sure to read up on Mexican insurance, unique customs & rules of the road, etc.

Having someone fluent in Spanish will help, but would not be a deal breaker by any means if you didn't.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suze.

We wondered if it would be cheaper to fly into La Paz (looks like a bigger city) and drive down, but it seems to be cheaper to fly in to Cabo. We really would like to get out and drive around, so maybe we'll take your tip and try out Club El Moro. Lookinqg at Google maps, there seems to be a nice round trip loop between Cabo and La Paz.

if anyone has driving advice, we are all ears, so to speak.

Dan
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will most likely find better connections and fares to Los Cabos. We go at least every other year. Depending where we stay, sometimes a car has not been necessary and a waste of money. If you are out on the corridor a car may be more useful. Where are you staying?

Here is a very old trip report I did in 2006:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...s-a-report.cfm

Another link I commented on:
http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...nopy-tours.cfm

Make sure you keep driving to daylight hours. Cattle, donkeys and other animals wander on to the roads at night and are very hazardous. We have done short road trips to Todos Santos and out to the East Cape for lunch.

Do a search here for Cabo or Los Cabos. Tripadvisor also has a very active Cabo board.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
By the way, we will be at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach right after Thanksgiving. Can't wait!
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

We will be at the same place, at the same time, MichelleY -- Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, last week in November.

Thanks for the info, I will dig in to the links afer I take care of the Easter Bunny's chores this morning.

Dan
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While La Paz is a larger city it is a more local/Mexican one. Los Cabos (which includes the towns of San Jose del Cabo & Cabo San Lucas, plus the tourist "corridor" in between them where lots of the resorts are located) gets a lot more visitors, so likely to find better airline connections, more frequent flights, etc.

There's definitely a loop people drive that includes Cabo, Todos Santos and La Paz. Besides the replies here, do check out the Cabo forum over at Trip Advisor, like MichelleY mentioned above. There is an incredibly active and helpful group of Cabo-lover-posters over there. And I know I've read posts & replies about driving routes, road conditions, car rentals, etc.