Search

Tikal and ...?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tikal and ...?

We are going to Tikal at the beginning of February for 2 nights. After that, we can't decide where to go - Belize or Southern Mexico or where? We love seeing wildlife, and there might be some at Tikal, though various posts contradict whther there is a whole lot. We loved Bosque del Cabo in Costa Rica's jungle for a week of animals, nature, rainforest, seclusion. Is there something similar someone can recommend? This trip will be shorter than usual, with a max of 10 days. Any advice would be so appreciated!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM

At Tikal we saw coatis, ocellated turkeys, gray foxes, spider and howler monkeys, and a great variety of birds including toucans, parrots, and oropendulas. We had a fabulous time in Belize but our best wildlife viewing was around Tikal. Belize is culturally fascinating offers incredible caving, snorkeling, and diving, and great hiking. Our photos and travelogue are linked below if you're interested. Happy trails!

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and the great pictures. I really enjoyed exploring all the places you've been. Although Guatemala sounds great, I think we'll be closer to Belize from Tikal, plus the allure of sunshine and ocean is to strong to resist during February. If you feel strongly about any of the places in Belize, and which might work best with Tikal (or anywhere else near Tikal), I'd love to hear opinions. Thanks again!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM

www.cavesbranch.com

Belize pretty cool...

pretty close to Tikal.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I'd stay at a jungly place near San Ignacio for a few days. We loved Caves Branch but it's not a great jumping off place for Tikal. We also loved Macal River Jungle Camp www.belizecamp.com which is cheaper (I think still $55/night/per person which includes a wonderful dinner and breakfast) and it's close to the Guatemala border. After 3? nights in the jungle, stay at one of the hotels in the park at Tikal, then head to an island or beach for the rest of your time. That's my 2 cents' worth....
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM

You do realize Tikal is in Guatemala? (wondering why you think Belize is closer). I was there in April and saw more wildlife from the hotel pool in Tikal than during my week in Belize.
I think you answered your own question-head through Belize to the ocean. Some time in one of the jungle resorts, then to the beach or cayes.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I know Tikal is in Guatemala. It's awfully close to the Cayo in Belize, though, so it seems like a good fit. I appreciate all the help. I will post a tentative itnerary in a little while, because I know everyone will be of help - as always!