Search

Any "must sees" in Belize?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any "must sees" in Belize?

We are planning a trip to Belize for 2 weeks. We will split our time between four properties: Blancaneaux Lodge, Inn at Roberts Grove, Victoria House, and Chaa Creek. After reading many of the Belize posts, it certainly seems as though there is a lot to see and do. Are there any "must sees" that we should be sure not to miss? Is Tikal worth the side trip to Guatemala or should we just concentrate on the Belize Mayan ruins?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM

When we were in Belize we took a day trip to Tikal and loved it. I think it is definitely worth the trip.

Also, if you are on Ambergis Caye you should snorkle shark/ray alley. You get to be up close and personal with sting rays and nurse sharks, quite an experience.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:16 AM

I went to Belize for two weeks and did Caye Caulker, San Pedro and Tikal. I thought Tikal was amazing although it was my first and only ruins experience. I highly recommend staying the night at the jungle lodge in the park so you can experience the howls of the monkeys in the middle of the night. It's a sound unlike any other and it was an amazing experience.
We stayed in Flores on the way up (1 hr from park) which is a cute little town on a lake with great pastel colored bldgs that is such a great scene of local culture. We also stayed in San Ignacio and did a canoe/cave trip there.
Every place we went was wonderful and if you have the time to get to Tikal I highly recommend it.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM

A few, rated by stars:

****Tikal (in Guatemala)
****Actun Tunichil Muknal cave
****Caracol
***Lamanai
**Xunantunich
**waterfalls in the Mountain Pine Ridge
****the scenery on the Hummingbird Highway
****the barrier reef
***one or more of the atolls
**one or more of the remote cayes
****snorkel or dive by day
**snorkel or dive by night
**one of the butterfly farms (Green Hills is the best)
*** remote areas of the Mountain Pine Ridge, such as around Baldy Beacon
**Fort George area of Belize City (by day)
**the waterside setting of either Corozal Town or PG
***remote bush area such as Programme for Belize lands

--Lan Sluder

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM

I think you should stay at Turtle Inn instead of Inn at Roberts Grove. You have individual cottages, and it's closer to downtown placencia where you can go for lunch, dinner, etc.
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:09 AM

mjulius1,

My husband & I were in Belize last year and throughly enjoyed our trip. We stayed at Blancaneuax and loved it! Beaufitul property, great food, bungalows look just like the pics, very relaxing and felt secluded. No air, got a little stuffy, but not bad at all. We were there mid Aug.

Take the short hike to the waterfall. It was awesome, we sweated hiking there, but were cooled off by the cool water. Swim up to the actual waterfall and slide down the rocks. Fun!

We took the tour to Tikal, I have to say, the drive was exhausting, Tikal was good, however, because the lenghth of the trip in a tiny van filled to the max, it was a very uncomfortable drive. If I remember correctly 3-4 hours each way. Don't get me wrong, Tikal is very impressive, but I would have rather stayed in Guatamala and done the tour. I regretted not just relaxing at Blancaneux that day having a massage. Although we have been to Chitzenetzah (sp?) in Mexico and had already seen an impressive ruin already.

I would have to agree with others on going to Shark Rey alley in Ambergris, it was a great trip.

Enjoy! Belize has been one of our favorite trips!
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:40 AM

BL has a new inn close to Tikal
www.lalancha.com