Search

Inland Belize...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inland Belize...

My sister and I will be traveling to Belize at the end of May. Our two first nights will be spent in Belize City and our last 3 nights in Placencia. We have 2 nights in between which we still have not allocated. We were looking into Dangriga or Hopkins. Or maybe somewhere inland where we could take advantage of the jungle and or ruins. We are in our mid-late 20's and on a budget.....any ideas, suggestions, comments??
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM

What are you planning on doing in Belize City? I've never heard about anyone actually doing anything but getting on or off an airplane there.
I'd suggest not spending any time in Belize City, and doing more inland.
If you want jungle and ruins, the Cayo district is that place to go. And if you're on a budget, you're lucky since off season rates will be in effect when you travel to Belize - at least at the places that offer them. Instead of listing all the neat places to see, I'll just link you to the best of cayo site:
www.shc.edu.bz/marcus/couchsurfing/cayobest.html
I must say that Rio On Pools is Awesome, and Caracol is neat, and Barton Creek Cave and Outpost is bad ass too; all are must sees!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I agree w/the good Dr., there's not much to do in Belize City.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Yeah - pretty much every one I know or whose trip reports I've read has headed out as fast they they can from Belize City; I know we did. If you head to the Cayo as Doc says, you'll be in reach of Tikal in Guatemala, a world-class Maya site, and there are lots of good lodging options in and near the jungle. Here's a link to our photos and travelogue in case you're interested. Happy trails!
http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the input and the pics. Can't wait to get there! Our planning wasn't done in the best order...we did a good amount of research, booked flight and a couple of hotels, and then I went out and got a travel guide and realized we should have planned just a bit differently. Initially we just wanted beach and sun with a day of caving and zip-lining. But the more I read the more I realize we have to stay inland if only for a couple of days. We may have to change our Belize city plans, I'll keep you posted.
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

So this is the final itinerary...land in Belize City and go cave tubing and zip lining. We'll be high on some form of energy drink to pull off the first day. From the caves/zip lining area we are taking a bus to Primitas Farm off the hummingbird hwy where we are staying 2 nights. If we have time we may actually spend a couple of hrs in Belmopan before going to the b&b. Our 2nd day is up in the air (a couple of our days are). Our 3rd morning we'll jump on a bus and head to Hopkins to Kismet Inn. We'll be here for a couple of days as well and don't have solid plans. Seems like the expense of different tours will add up quickly. Next we'll head to Placencia where all we plan on doing is snorkeling one day and just relaxing for the next 2 days. Then we head back to Belize City and back home. We are just finishing our packing list and feel well prepared and super excited. We leave in 1 week!
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM

You lucky ducks! I can't wait to hear all about Primitas - it's on our short list for our next trip to Belize. Happy trails!