tikal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tikal

Hey,
Looking at planning a trip to Belize. It sounds like Tikal is an all day affair if traveling in Belize. Since I would also like to do Guatemala within the next year or two, should we wait to do Tikal then? I wasn't sure logistically if it would be better to go ahead and do while in Belize or if it would be much easier to incorporate when in Guatemala - I would assume the latter but you never know.
Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM

You can do it either way. It really deserves at least an overnight so you can explore the ruins and jungle in the cooler early morning and evening hours when wildlife is abundant and you practically have the place to yourselves. A day trip from Belize means the 2-3 hour road trip each way from San Ignacio with just a few hours during the hottest, busiest time of the day to explore. Or you could fly round trip from Belize City to Flores which is an hour or so from the ruins.

Visiting from Guatemala you can either take an overnight bus (+/-10 hours) each way or fly round trip to Flores (over $200). Then you have the shuttles both ways from Flores to the park.

I've visited twice, once from Belize and once from Guatemala. In my opinion it's easier and more fun from Belize but it depends on how much time you have and your family's economy. Lots of photos in the Belize and Guat 2007 collections below if you're interested. Happy trails!

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

hopefulist
you are always so helpful -i had a feeling maybe we should do it from belize! i've checked out your pics before which are great (you posted some new ones i think??) you've given me advice for my girl trips before (they never pan out to central america because everyone is worried about safety, or critters, or moving around, etc) so i'm going with my faithful companion instead
actually, you turned me on to flickr and i just posted some cr pics - they are on the CR forum under both 10 day trip report and under CR photos feb '08.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

oh and thanks again!

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM

www.jaguartikal.com

pretty easy to do from Belize

do an overnite for sure magical...