The diff. between sky trek and canopy tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok- I'm a little confused. What exactly is the difference between Sky Trek and the Canopy Tours at Arenal? I'm very confused!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:28 PM

bodypolitik, I was confused too when we planned our trip. Especially since more than one company offers these tours!

This info should help. I booked Sky Tram/Sky Trek zip-line tours, Arenal, for my family in June. It was great fun. Here is what it says in their information pamphlet, word for word, in quotes:

"Sky Tram is a 15-minute aerial tram through the rain forest to the Miguel Angel observatory, where you will have spectacular views of the Arenal Volcano and Lake, and the Tilaran mountain range."

"Sky Tram offers trails, brooks, waterfalls, zip-lines (Sky Trek) and hanging bridges (Sky Walk)."

"Sky Trek is a 3280-foot long zip line system that gives you the opportunity to enjoy the rain forest and its beautiful views in a fun, easy, and safe manner."

"Sky Walk is combination of bridges and trails inside the Arenal Reserve that allows you to observe the rain forest tree tops, the flora and fauna of the region."

The 4 paragraphs quoted above were from the same pamphlet, for the Arenal Rain Forest Reserve Sky Tram/Sky Trek. The pamphlet mentions these web-sites: www.arenalreserve.com
www.skytram.net
www.skytrek.com
www.skywalk.co.cr

And now, in case that wasn't confusing enough, in the same pamphlet, which we got in Arenal, it also mentions Monteverde! (I think this particular Sky Trek started in Monteverde and then they built a new one in Arenal). So they also give the web-site for Monteverde in the same pamphlet: www.vallemonteverde.com

Back to Arenal: We didn't do the Sky Walk...we did the Sky Tram and the Sky Trek. The confusing thing is that although the pamphlet says that the entrance fee includes ALL OF these services, we never knew that ahead of time...we didn't realize we could have done the Sky Walk as well...We hadn't planned on that. (Their Sky Walk is NOT the same as the Hanging Bridges at Arenal...)

So many similar possibilities do get very confusing, I agree. Plus Arenal Paraiso offers a zip-line too, don't they? And Tabacon does, don't they?!

The "Canopy" is of course the tree tops...so a Canopy tour would be a tour through the tree tops...If that refers to any particular company, I am not sure of that. If you are doing a zip-line through the forest Canopy that is often considered a Canopy tour.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM

bodypolitik, one more thing I can add...the Sky Trek zip-line I described above in Arenal is way up high, actually just above the forest canopy...whereas there are some other zip-lines (maybe in Monteverde) which actually go through the forest canopy, not as high up...
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

How do you get up there? The tram?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM

bodypolitik, The Sky Tram takes you up to a platform. From there you can either do the zip-lines down with a guide, or else you can wait a few minutes for the tram to take you back down. You can also do a nature walk with a guide before you take the tram back down if you want.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm usually afraid of rides and such but not outdoorsy adventure activities. Is this something where you zip down super fast (like the Tower of Terror or something) or is it slower?
(silly question, I know, but I'm just asking)
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:42 AM

This particular zip-line in Arenal, the one we have been discussing above, goes very fast...at one point it feels like you are going 40 mph, reports my family. (I did the Sky Tram and watched them take off on the zip-line.)

There are other zip-lines in Costa Rica which are slower than this one.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Sky Trek zip lines are an amazing experience. I first tried it 2 years ago. It was so wonderful I went back again the next day. That day it rained and it was even better and faster in the rain.
I was there Nov.23 2007 to celebrate my 75th birthday and had a blast. The Sky Trek zip lines are the best in Costa Rica. I have done three other ones and they were like kiddie rides at the fair.