Notices

Suggestions???

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:14 PM
Monica

Suggestions???

Hi! I have been struggling to plan a trip to Belize in July and would really appreciate some suggestions. I am planning on going for 5 or 6 days and would like to incorporate a little of everything. Specifically, I would like to include a trip to Tikal and to the Hol Chan Reserve in Ambergris Caye. I also would like to include hiking/caving/tubing/canoeing/horseback riding if possible. Any recommendations? What part of Belize would be a good place to stay? Any specific hotels? Are water taxis available from all parts to Ambergris Caye? Is it easy to make excursion arrangements once we get there? Is it best to join a tour, and if so what are some economical tour options? If anyone has answers to any of these questions please, please let me know. Thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Lan Sluder

You could stay on Ambergris Caye and do day trips to the mainland, even to Tikal, but I would say you would be better off splitting your time between a beach resort on Ambergris Caye and a jungle lodge in Cayo. Many visitors do this "surf and turf" and find it works out well.

There are water taxis from Belize City to Ambergris Caye. Yes, it's easy and generally best to make your excursion plans after you arrive. Tours are an easy though sometimes expensive way to see Maya sites in Belize, caves, Tikal, etc.

--Lan Sluder
(written or co-written six books on Belize)
www.belizefirst.com

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Patty

5 to 6 days is a short amount of time. Normally I would say just stay in one place as you will lose time traveling from one hotel to another. But since you want to go to Tikal and do some other inland activities, it may be better to split up your time between Ambergris and an inland lodge (unless you don't mind taking several flights from Ambergris or the expense). It's easy to make arrangements after you arrive, but I would check in advance to see what day(s) the Tikal trip is offered from wherever you're staying (whether lodge or on Ambergris). Hope this helps.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Monica

Thank you so much for your suggestions!!! I looked at the Fodors hotel guide and I found a place called Villa Boscardi in Belize City that seems nice and reasonably priced. Anyone know if this would be a convenient place to stay and make all of the excursions? Or, have any opinions about the place in general? I was thinking of staying at Sunbreeze hotel in Ambergris Caye for a night......but would it be a waste or too hectic to just catch a water taxi from Belize city and spend the day in Ambergris? I really really appreciate all of the help!!!!!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Patty

Personally I would not choose to stay in Belize City because I prefer the atmosphere of an inland lodge or one of the cayes. But it's certainly possible to base yourself there and do all of the excursions that you are interested in. I think Tikal might be too long of a drive from Belize City for a day trip but you could fly to Flores. I believe the water taxi to Ambergris takes over an hour each way (I may be wrong) so it depends on what you consider hectic. Once you're there, you can easily find a boat to take you out to Hol Chan (and to see the sharks and rays). You may want to visit the belizenet forum, you'll find lots of advice there:

http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Lan Sluder

Villa Boscardi is lovely place. It's in safe area north of town, between downtown and the international airport.

But I wouldn't base there. You'd be better off doing a few days in Cayo and a few days in San Pedro.

--Lan Sluder

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Monica

Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I really appreciate them. Lan, I checked out your book of lists at belizefirst.com....they were so helpful. Thanks again!
-Monica

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Owen O'Neill

I just returned from a trip that was ten days including travel time on both ends. I managed to fit in all that I wished to do (Tikal, two days of caving and then scuba certification and diving on Caye Caulker). It was a push getting it all into that time frame and with only 5 or 6 days you might consider either flying to Tikal on the first day to save time or perhaps limiting yourself to 2 of the 3 possible activity types (e.g. leave out the caving or leave out Tikal). If you fly where possible and use taxis/shuttles rather than buses you could work it out. I was traveling alone and appreciated being active but the schedule I kept didn't allow me adequate time to appreciate the mainland activites as I'd like to . I have posted a mini-trip report under the heading "Tikal/Caves Branch/Belize diving trip" which will have some infor or if you wihs please email me and I'll send you the full trip report (it was too lengthy to post). I owe Lan a note of thanks for the helpful advice he offered in this forum when I was planning the trip (Thanks Lan!). I also owe him an apology for not saying hello when I spotted him in the airport restaurant on June 3 as I was preparing to fly home. By the time I realized it was him (sure looked like him) he had already left the dining room.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
cherie

I am taking a cruise to belize and I have one day from 8 am to 5 pm and will be docking in belize city? i was looking into taking a water taxi (we dont plan to fly) to ambergris caye but the timing of the water taxis are limited. and i am not too crazy about staying inland and doing sightseeing. what would u recommend?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:48 PM
tim

Great info on Belize. I do have a question about mosquitoes. I've heard they can ruin your vacation in Belize if it is the rainy season. Is July the rainy season and are mosquitoes really bad there in July. Thanks.