COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Suggested places on Osa Peninsula

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Suggested places on Osa Peninsula

Good afternoon,

Well, I have posted here before when I was planning my honeymoon. It could not have gone better and I owe that to the responses we received. It went so well, that we are going back to Costa Rica!!!

We went to Manuel Antonio before and now we want to go to the Osa Peninsula. We have one week and want to stay in one place. Please let me know where you would go and where you would stay, with the following in mind:

1. Two couples travelling together
2. Wife and I love scuba and want to dive Cano and other nearby locations. Want location with plenty of scuba options.
3. Other couple is not into scuba, but would snorkel.
4. Both couples love photography, outdoors, etc. Want to be close to Corcovado.
5. Would love a hotel with a large, private property. It would be even better if they had a private reserve (i.e. Bosque Del Cabo).
6. It would likely be most economical to share a house, so hotels with houses would be nice.
7. Looking for price of $80-120/person/night for a trip in February.

So far, we are considering Corcovado Lodge, Corcovado tent camp, Bosque Del Cabo, La Paloma, and a few others.

So, with our goals in mind, what town would be your base and where would you stay? Being a diver, I am thinking Drake Bay would be best.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:57 AM

We love Bosque del Cabo, it is an amazing property - great place to be outdoors, hike, and take amazing photos of wildlife. They do have some casas on the property - two and three bedroom that you could check into to see if they meet your price range. You're going during high season, so it's going to be more expensive then. In terms of SCUBA and snorkelling, I think you'd have to travel elsewhere for that.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:05 AM

Yep, I have to cast my vote to BdC as well. You just can't believe the amount of wildlife there. It's also fun to have dinner family style. You get to meet all the other guests and discuss your animal sightings and hikes thru the trails, etc.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM

You could definitely stay at one of the houses at Bosque del Cabo. The price doesn't include meals, as with the price of the cabinas, but you could always do your grocery shopping before you head there and figure a budget for eating some of your meals there. The food is delicious, and it's fun to socialize at dinner especially. But, there's also usually a fun crowd at the bar later in the evenings. It's not going to be close to Corcovado as in you can hike there (you'd have to take a spendy tour).

Not sure how many days you have, but you could also do a split of days between Iguana Lodge (and somewhere else) where you could have your beach time, and easier to get to tours such as Cano Negro or Corcovado. I believe that have a house or duplex there as well..

There are also some rave reviews here for a house called Casa Bambu (I believe there are 3 or 4 houses grouped together, this is one of them). If you do a search you will find more information on it.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM

The only drawback to having one of the Tropical Garden cabins at Bosque del Cabo (they are less expensive) in February is that it will be very hot, and you will be away from that nice open ocean breeze and in a clearing in the foret with not much air moving. That would make a huge difference for us. . .

Perhaps Casa Blanca or Casa Miramar with the ocean view. . .

I know you have a budget and would like to stick with it, but it there were ever a place that justified a splurge, it would be, my opinion, BdC and one of the houses or cabins with the ocean view. For us, the cabinas are better because we wouldn't care for the longer walk after dark, even with a flashlight!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM

What is the MATTER with me???? I meant to say "forest"!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM

At Bosque del Cabo, not sure how much more in Feb but in May Casa Blanca is $300 per night and Casa Miramar is $350, of course you'd have to buy your own food or pay the daily rate at BdC for B/L/D. I really can't say enough about this great place and if you're ever going to go over your budget this is the place!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great responses.

Unfortunately, BdC is now off the list. My wife and I are dedicated divers. After diving in MA during the green season, we really want to see it during the CR summer. This is a hard requirement for the vacation. The other couple is pretty dedicated to seeing Corcovado too.

So, maybe we can focus on hotels in the Drake Bay region. Here is what we are currently evaluating:

Jinetes de Osa Hotel
La Paloma
Marenco Beach and Rainforest lodge
Poor Man's Paradise
Casa Corcovado
Corcovado Lodge Tent Camp
Aguila de Osa Inn

Suggestions?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

We looked up Iguana Lodge. Too far away from Corcovado and Cano

Shillmac, great to see you posting on this thread. Thanks a MILLION for the Buena Vista Villas recommendation for MA. This is where we stayed for our honeymoon and it was exactly what we needed.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM

Hi peptidbond,

I think you'll find a preponderance of Bosque del Cabo supporters here on the Fodors forum! I'm getting ready to join the fan club myself later this year.

I've seen a lot fewer reports regarding the Drake Bay side of the Osa although it sounds absolutely wonderful. I know I've read some good reports of Casa Corcovado and La Paloma here. You can plug their names into the search dialogue box and choose Costa Rica from the country options to narrow down your search. You'll find some reports of them. Trip Advisor may also be a good option, although I personally place more faith in the reviews I read on Fodors (they haven't really steered me wrong yet...).

Most of what I've read indicates that Costa Rica is not necessarily a premier dive location such as say, Belize, but it sounds like you've already experienced diving in CR, so you should have an idea of what to expect.

Good luck narrowing down your options. I hope you'll report back on your Drake Bay experience after you return to give everyone a taste of that part of the Osa!

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM

P..

We stayed at La Paloma in March and enjoyed it very much. The staff was friendly and happy to provide information. The food was very good and plentiful. Our casita was beautiful (#4). It had an amazing view of the pacific. We saw a lot of wildlife on their grounds...monkeys, kinkajou (sp?), macaws, those little wild boar type things, a HUGE toad and more. We did the night tour with the bug lady right on their property.
If you do stay here, request Randal as your guide for Corcovado. He was fantastic.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM

peptidbond - Wish I could help, but I've only stayed at BDC. However, I've been researching Drake Bay for some time as well, and seriously considering Cabinas Los Caletas in Drake Bay. I don't think they have a house though. But I think it looks pretty good. So much for narrowing down your choices. Ha! Have you also checked Trip Advisor reviews? Good luck!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:52 AM

I am not going to mention BdC as that is not really a place that would be good for you for this trip based on what you are looking for.

We really enjoyed La Paloma. The people were great and the food very good. We stayed in one of the Ranchos. We aren't divers but did go snorkeling. We did a helmet dive down in the Bahamas and I just got too nervous to try the real thing even though we have lots of friends that dive. I am spoiled by places like Cozumel and Belize but we did see some good things. Reef sharks, yellow puffers, rays, and a whole host of other things off of Cano Island.

That said, I have heard great things about Casa Corcovado and do hope to get there one of these days. I think I have DH convinced that it should be on our list. It sounds like a perfect place for divers and non divers. If I remember correctly they have a snorkeling trip to a beach called San Jocesito that sounds perfect for non divers who want to do some hiking as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM

We stayed at Casa Corcovado on our first trip to CR back in 2002 (Feb.). We loved it. An adventure getting there (fly to Palmar Sur), van to boat dock. 1 1/2 hour boat trip down Sierpe River and then along shore in ocean to beach landing at CC property. Remote feel. Tractor/truck up hill to lodge property, which is just lovely. Cinder block like cabinas, simple but quite comfortable. Screened in dining room and outdoor bar. Spring fed (?) pool that we never visited. Nice staff (at least in 2002). Several nice paths on property and one into Corcovado park from there. Hike into park was fun as was trip to Cano Island. We only snorkeled and enjoyed that though it's not fabulous snorkeling. Island itself is nice for beach. Saw some dolphins on the way over. Not much on the island other than LOTS of lizards of all kinds. Nice private cove beach, though current was rough when we were there. Chairs space along under palm trees for guests. Scarlet macaws in trees on beach,daily flyovers. Lots of monkeys to be seen. Food ok. We recommend!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM

peptidbond,
Hello to you also! So glad you enjoyed Buena Vista Villas, but it must have been someone else who made the recommendation as we have no knowledge of that property. I have read a lot of good reviews of it here on Fodor's, though. Sounds lovely!

I'm sure you'll find something wonderful on Drake Bay and I hope you guys have a great time in February--be here before you know it!