Osa Peninsula

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa Peninsula

My husband and I are planning a 10th anniversary trip to Costa Rica in February. Since we have not been before, we decided to do a 10-day tour with Caravan to hit the highlights of the country, but then we will stay an additional 5 days. We are trying to decide where to go for those days. Two different people have told us we should visit Osa, but from the tours I've looked at, it seems that the sightseeing is pretty strenuous. We're up for a hike, but not an all-day trek. Any advice? Also, would it be a hard trip by shuttle? The fare is much cheaper than flying. Thanks to all!
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Sandie,

You will find that many people on this forum recommend Bosque Del Cabo and for good reason. You are free to hike the grounds as much or little as you like. Besides the two hikes to the ocean, most are level.

I think flying is really the only way to go to get to BDC. I believe it is close to a 6 hour drive from San Jose. I am sure that others will provide some additional advice.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM

Most people fly to the Osa because it's so much faster, and the roads aren't in great shape down there. It's a pretty isolated area. We loved Bosque del Cabo - it was just amazing to be in such an undeveloped area and see all the wildlife in such a natural state. BdC doesn't have locks on the doors and doesn't offer you enough power to run things like a blow dryer, but we saw all 4 kinds of monkeys there, an anteater, a sloth, scarlet macaws, and toucans - a lot of it just from the front porch of our cabin. If wildlife interests you, it would be a great spot. There's a small pool on on the property, and it sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Hiking was our main activity, but we also took a boat out to see dolphins and went to the animal sanctuary where we got to hold monkeys and sloths.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM

I am traveling to osa in january and staying at yellow coco lodge I have looked at several of the tours and I am not doing very strenous activities. we are taking a hike to cabo matapalo , horseback riding , dolphin tour of gulfo dulce and visiting the animal sanctuary.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM

As noted the shuttle is quite time-consuming over the air option. You might check Nature Air as they offer "loco" fares that are pretty cheap, but they go fast. If you're on a budget Bosque del Cabo might be out of your price range, but it's a very special place and worth every penny. You don't need to worry about anything while you're there, just enjoy the grounds, trails, food and pool. There are optional tours and hikes you can take, but not necessary.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I did find that the trip is 200 miles from San Jose and about a 9 hour bus ride, so I definitely see the need for flying! BdC is a little out of our budget this trip, but sounds like exactly what we need. I'll check into some other things, but we might have to table going to Osa on this trip because of the cost and save it for another time. We love the wildlife, and that is our reason for choosing Costa Rica, so I know we will definitely be back. Maybe we'll spend some additional time in Manuel Antonio this trip and start out with Osa next time. I'll continue to check out this forum for all of the info. It's been a great help.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Just had to reply. I know many people recommend Manuel Antonio. I was there 2 summers ago. We loved the park, and we ended up having a private guide. Terrific day. However, I did not like Manuel Antonio in general. It didn't feel safe; steep hills to get to anywhere; walking is on the narrow side of a very busy road. We ended up checking out early and headed back to Vista Del Valle to wind up our tour of Costa Rica. Don't know what your itinerary is, but the highlights for us were our stay at La Mansion on Lake Arenal, our stay at Vista del Valle and touring with 'Wilson'.
Good luck and enjoy!
Caroline
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM

www.costaverde.com

CV 2 was a great moderate place to stay for me in MA 270 degree views overlooking the park in the rain forest short walk to tha park beach no need for car/taxi...
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Caroline, we are really open as to where we spend the last 5 days of our visit. Our tour ends in San Jose, of course, so that is where we will start the next leg. We thought about going to Coral Hills Bungalows in Cahuita for a few days. We're not renting a car, but from what I understand, it's pretty easy to get around by shuttle service to the main cities. I have heard good things about the park at Manuel Antonio and also Arenal. I've tried to digest so much information that I feel like I know nothing! Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Sandie, there is no need to table a trip to the Osa because of cost. Bosque del Cabo sounds like the ultimate - indeed, my husband and I hope to visit there this winter - but there are other, more affordable choices.

We stayed at Cabinas Las Caletas several years ago, and thought it was great! The lodging and meals are simple, but fine. Best of all, it's right on a beautiful beach, and the wildlife sightings were better than inside the park. It's a shortish walk to Drake Bay. There's a private trail nearby, where for a nominal donation, you can walk as much or as little as you please. Lots of other affordable options too that we haven't been to!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Cattail, thanks so much for this info. We're checking this out. It certainly is more in our price range for this trip. We really do want to see Osa. I'll let you know what we end up with. Sandie