Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2016, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will arrive at SJO May 10th around noon. We are renting a vehicle from Tricolor and will be driving to the Arenal Observatory lodge that afternoon. I'm wondering if we can stop by La Paz waterfall on our way to Arenal? My concern is that it might take too long and we may not arrive before dark. With a noon arrival I'm hopeful that we can be in our rental vehicle and on our way by 1pm. Is 5 hours enough during the rainy season to include La Paz or should we skip it an head to Arenal via a different route?

Also, later in our stay we will drive from Monteverde to Montezuma beach. Google maps shows an option of taking route 18 and 21 down the peninsula (interior). Is this advisable during the rainy season or should we take the ferry?

Thank you for your help. This will be our second time in Costa Rica, but our first time driving.
Old May 1st, 2016, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You would only have time if you spent the night at the Peace Lodge. It gets dark about 5 and with the roads, you never know what detours or delays may occur. Plus time for getting lost.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM

I agree with Michelle; you don't really have time to do La Paz. You could either spend the night in San Jose and head out early the next morning or you could head up to the La Paz area and spend the night there or just skip it altogether.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We'll skip it. We'll see the La Fortuna waterfall and Montezuma falls on this trip.

Any advice on driving from Monteverde to Montezuma? Down the Nicoya peninsula or via ferry? According to Goolge maps down the peninsula is quicker, but I wasn't sure if it is advisable in the rainy season.
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

We ended up taking the ferry. The Monteverde locals said driving down Nicoya would take longer since the roads weren't all paved. We left Monteverde about 8:30am and arrived in Montezuma about 1:30pm.
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good info. Would love a trip report.
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Glad it worked out for you. How was your trip?