Search

Some questions on Buzios

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions on Buzios

We will be traveling to Buzios at the end of April and we can use some help.

First of all, this is sort of low season there, should we be concerned with weather or the place being deserted?

TRANSFERS- From RIO what's the best way to get to/from Buzios with 2 couples, bus,taxi,or rent a car? Other options? Anyone knows how much we may have to pay?
Should we book it once we in Rio?

HOTELS- We are trying to decide between two hotels that were recommended - Galapogos and Colonna Hotel. Any comments?
Is it better to be close to the beach or close to the Centro. What beaches should we NOT consider? We plan to spend the nights going out (restuarants, bars, nightlife), but the days on the bach or relaxing. What else can we do in or around Buzios?

OTHER - Any Comments on scuba, or anything else you can suggest, activities, restaurants, bars to visit or to AVOID, would be helpful.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

We just retruned from Buzios. Buzios is terrific, a very special place and we have traveled a lot.

We stayed at the Galapagos Inn and liked it very much. We also looked at the Colonna Park, which is almost directly across the way. The Galapagos appeared way better, and that was also what I was told before we left. Galapagos has a great view towards the ocean and Jao Fernandes beach. It has a nice pool area and dining room and the staff couldn't be nicer. I highly recommend it.

Other than Galapagos, the top hotel in Buzios is Casas Brancas. CB is a bit more "urban" "chi chi" looking and close to town, about a 5 minute walk. Galapagos is probably a 25 minute walk . CB is all white, with a smallish pool but a pretty view towards the town and bay. (I thought the view from Galapagos was prettier.) From CB you'll need a cab or buggy to get to the beaches, although none are more than about a 5-10 minute ride away. From the Galapagos you can walk across the street (more like a cobble stone road) and you are at Jao Fernandez or Jao Fenandino beaches. The former is bigger and very nice, the latter small and also nice. The water at both is very clear.

Since it will be low season you can probably book a night at one of these two hotels and then look around, deciding which one you prefer. We were with our kids and preferred Galapagos, although even without them, we'd likely return to Galapagos over the CB. It is a bit more open and tropical and very friendly.

As for transfers, our hotel in Buzios arranged them and they worked out fine. However, they were a bit expensive, about US 150 each way. Yet, it is 2.5 hours from Rio to Buzios and certainly you'd pay that much in the US. A bus is cheaper. But, if you are 4 adults maybe a van is a good idea. The ride is highway, pretty and easy.

In Buzios there are many stores and restaurants. The stores open late in the afternoon and stay open till midnight or later, so everyone can go to the beach during the day. Aquarella, Italian, was very good, great rissottos and pastas, and Don Juan, an Argentine spot was also good. There are many options. Shopping is very good but, things seemed a bit cheaper in Rio. Yet, a number of top stores from Rio have branches in Buzios. Also, many vendors on the beaches in Buzios and they have some good stuff. They are friendly and not a distraction.

The beaches in Buzios were great. Make sure you absolutely visit Geriba (long and wide and beautiful) and Tarraturaga, calm with beautiful water. All beaches have kiosks or more formal restaurants for food. We took taxis everywhere, with the most expensive ride being perhaps US 10.

There are also boat and schooner tours available, scuba, snorkeling and other activities. Rio and Buzios are great combinations. Have fun, bring much sunblock and probably some Off or Raid, there are bugs in Buzios but they aren't much of a bother.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you very much for this very helpful info. I am sold on Galapogos.

Another question, did you book your transfers at your Rio hotel or whiele in the States? Would you recommend renting a car and driving there from Rio and back, as well as using it in Buzios, or its a too much of a bother to use the car in Buzios? Parking, traffic,etc..
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Buzios is a great choice.

I would stay close to the centro, and spend the day visiting the beaches. A great way to do it is by renting a Dune Buggy. (they can hold 4 adults). The best beach is GERIBA, and Joao Fernandes.

Private transfer to Buzios can be done for around R$250 (or USD$120). Buses are obviously a lot cheaper.

In the evening you will find everything you are after (hopefully) on Rua Das Pedras. That is where all the restaurants, shopping, cafes and bars are located.

I strongly do NOT reccomend renting a car in RIo. Driving is a nightmare and deductibles are quite high.

Have a Great TIme!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your detailed response. Your really seem to know a lot about the area. Are the private trasnfers easily arrangeable through hotels in Rio or shoudl we try to do it in the states. Which option is cheaper?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM

You can make your arrangements in Rio by going to any travel agency or you can visit Bobby's site an American who has a store in Rio at www.blameitonrio4travel.com I once tried to make a reservation myself in Rio by phone at the Collana park and they offered me $150 a night but I went next door to see Bobby and he got me the same room for $90. The hotel was fine right on the beach, no problems. I have also stayed at Casa Branca which was good too but not on a beach and very close to downtown, this is a good option for being close at night just go out and walk back to your hotel as it is a late night place. There is also a hotel on a private island called nas rocas, I stayed there too years ago, very interesting. Do not rent a car if you don't speak the lingo or know where you are going.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Also check out this website: http://www.buziosonline.com.br/home/english/
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM

One other thing when you are in Rio a very famous top restaurant in Ipanema is Satyricon, Italian style fish only the best and Buzios has the same restaurant, try them both, another restaurant in Buzios I like is Chez Brigitte, get a table near the water.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I am really looking forward to our trip.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM

my name is ken, iīm the owner and chef at sliders restaurant. iīm american. ther are over four hundred pousadas and 10 or more hotels in town cost and comfort are relative. depending what you want to spend i have a number of suggestions. tranfers out of rio should not cost more than R$50 per person and a bus transfer is fine. Galapogos and Colonna are fine choices but there are some other very nice places less expensive. feel free to contact me, i would love to help. iīd like more people to know about buzios and have a great experience here. better to ask someone who lives here all year than a traveler about the inīs and outīs. By the way, the weather never changes, and if it is deserted, there isnīt a better way to enjoy buziosīnatural beauty, on your own private beach. like me, you wonīt want to leave.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

hi Ken, we are leaving to Rio this Friday, and then off to Buzios after a few days. I still have not arranged for trasfers...but if you can suggest a specific place where we can arrange a private round trip transfers between rio and buzios for 4 persons at RII50 or so ( i guess its roughly $25-30 per person?)

Also i am looking to do some scubadiving in buzios..any suggestions who to use?

Lastly..any specific 'not to miss' restaurants or bars? Thanks for your help
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Iīm so sorry I havenīt been n line to see your response. I have line on a transfer for R$45 per person from anywhere in rio to buzios door to door. If itīs not to late and you check this email call me at 22-9218-8850
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM

I am traveling to Rio and on to Buzios in July. I know the World Cup will be a big celebration. Does anyone have any favorite restaurants, bars, shops vendors, sights etc. in Buzios. Most importantly, Ken from Sliders: how do I go about getting an enexpensive transfer from the airport. Also how do I catch the bus to Buzios. Is it safe?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM

In Buzios, if you go to Rua das Pedras (main street) in Centro, you will see all the restaurants, shops, etc... Buzios is not a big place so spend the first few hours walking around to get a good feel for the place.

As for transfers, if you are looking for an inexpensive transfer from the airport directly to Buzios, you can use a company called TRAVEL BUS (55 22) 2623-2478. They have a pick up service at the airport that usually leaves around 1pm. So if you get in early you will have to wait around. They claim to do pick ups anywhere in Zona Sul, but it is a big hassle. They will only go in if there are lots of people and then they end up waiting at the airport. I think the price is around R$45.

If you get in at an inconvenient hour, you can always go straight to the Rodoviaria Novo Rio (bus station) and catch a bus to Buzios. (Email me if you want the schedule). The bus to Buzios is safe, however since you will be with all your bags, I dont think you should take any of the regular city buses.

July will be busier not just bc of World Cup, but also because it is a month of holidays.

Have fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM

My husband an I are traveling to Buzios at the end of April and I read that Ken had some connections for transfers from Rio to Buzios. If Ken is still able to assist, or if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. The prices that I was quoted so far are very expensive.
Thanks Lisa