Reload this Page >

Rio and Salvador - day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Chrissy

I am going with three friends to Brazil for New Years. We will be in Rio/Copacabana for the big night, of course. We will stay 7 nights in Rio, 6 nights in Salvador. We will not have a car in either place - will that be a problem? Also - can you suggest any day trips from both places that we can get to without a rental car? I would like to do some less touristy things. Thanks!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Teresa

Chrissy, it really is a pitty that you don't hire a car while in Salvador and get out of town. Anyway, if you can, go to Morro de Sao Paulo and Praia do Forte. They are not far from Salvador and both are beautiful places and have beautiful beaches

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:09 AM
liz

Hi Chrissy,<BR>You are going to have a great trip! Which hotel have you selected in Rio. Whichever, the best way is to negotiate with a car and driver (private taxi) which are at all hotels, to take you around where you want to go, like top of Corcorvado, out at night, etc. You will spend most days taking sun and swimming, the heat is intense. Salvador is a one day tour only. Instead book Praia do Forte, 45 minutes away, which is gorgeous but somewhat family oriented. I recommend instead Hotel Transamerica Comandatuba or even the Club Med in Itaperica or Morro de Sao Paulo, etc. Tell us more about ages, possible expense levels, interests, etc. of you and your friends and we can write back with better tips.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Chrissy

Thanks for the tips! We are four single professional women in our early thirties (sorry - this sounds like a personals ad!), we can afford mid range prices. We are staying at Miramar Palace in Rio and Tropical Da Bahia Hotel in Salvador. We like the beaches, hiking, sightseeing, dancing, good food, shopping, but we also want to get a feel for the country, not do all touristy things. I know there will be plenty to do in Rio, but I don't know about Salvador. Will we be able to hire taxis to take us to the beach and near-by towns? Thanks!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Don

Chrissy, just thought I would chime in on this: The Miramar hotel is a good choice, I stayed there last year they did very nice renovations on the hotel. Don't miss the roof top bar, great view of Copacabana. Try Peoples club in Leblon and Mistura Fina in Lagoa for dinner and a piano bar.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:10 PM
liz

Boy, I don't know about the six days in Salvador. Think you will be bored stiff. I would go to the Hotel Transamerica Comandatuba, in Bahia, which is a full resort with loads of facilities and mainly Brazilian guests. They can arrange lots of activities for you. Or maybe the Blue Tree Park in Angra dos Reis, south of Rio, a brand new resort with tons of action and nature too. I realize you want to experience the country and believe me you will! There are lots of simple pousadas but at New Years they will be filled with families with little kids. You need somewhere that also has an adult scene. Maybe Buzios, there is a hotel on an island there that is very exclusive. I will get the name and post again.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:23 PM
liz

Go to www.blue-tree.com.br/angra. This is a gorgeous place with every possible facility. It has about 7 restaurants from on the beach to cigar bar to jazz bar. Huge workout center. Mega pool, lovely beach, every water sport. You can get a driver to take you there from Rio in about 2 hours. Great spa. Really like a top Caribbean resort but it will be filled with top drawer Brazilians and you will meet some fun people! The only other choice for 4 single gals in their 30s would be continue on to Buenos Aires from Rio. Another really hot city. Sounds like you want more beach so go for the Blue Tree Park. The nature there is gorgeous and you will have a ball.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:37 PM
correction

It is www.bluetree.com.br/angra<BR>(without the dash).....you guys will adore this place....but go on diets first since you will wear minimal bikinis by day and minimal dresses at night! Also I think you should upgrade your hotel in Rio. Can't you swing the Copacabana Palace, two to a room, or at least the Meridien, the Sofitel or the Caeser Park. All better choices.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Eduardo

Chrissy<BR>From Rio, take the bus out of main station to Buzios (about 1 hour north). It used to be a fisherman village, but still has the atmosphere. Try to stay 2 days and explore the surroundings: Cabo Frio, Arraial do Cabo, etc. You will see lots of celebrities. Book in advance.<BR>Have fun!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:01 AM
liz

Buzios is 2.5 hours from Rio on the bus, has various beaches, you do boat rides, that sort of thing. I still think the Blue Tree Park will be more hopping this year as it is brand new. Either way I would have the hotel hire a car and driver since there are four of you and all your luggage, either to Buzios or Blue Tree Park Angra dos Reis. You will want to spend at least 4 days in either place.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:18 AM
BOBBY

Hi Chrissy, You will have the best time of your lifein Rio on New Years, It is unbleivable. You will see. Get out my site www.blameitonrio4travel.com It will help you alot with information. You do not need to rent a car. When you are in Salvador you can ask your hotel for a tour guide they wil get you one. You will enjoy the city. It is beautiful. I have been there. You take taxis all over. Its very easy. Rio the same, come into my office and I can arrange a tour for you. Take taxis all over the city. You do not need to rent a car. I hope this helps. Bobby<BR><BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Shaun

Chrissy, in Rio you'll have to visit Cristo Redentor (the statue of Christ), also praia de Copacabana, Ipanema, e Vermelho. Those are for the common tourist. But Buzios is amazing! It too is touristy but definitely worth it. You could take taxis, but they might get kind of pricey. Its probably the fastest way though. Theres also the bus. The bus would be slower, but the bus system down there is wonderful and will take you anywhere you want to go. I'll be down there too. See you there.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Chrissy

Many thanks to all of you for the great info! I will talk to my friends about changing our plans. I can't wait to see Brazil!