spring break, Cancun?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:20 AM
renae

spring break, Cancun?

I am trying to decide on a destination for spring break 2003. I have three kids, one a teen. Cancun looks really wild at that time. We want a nice beach but enough activity to keep the 18 year old happy. Any ideas?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:25 AM
me

Try the Playa del Carmen area. Cancun could be wild but it depends where you stay. The college Spring Breakers tend to gravitate to specific hotels.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Christie

Cancun will be full of college students and some pretty wild parties (wet T-shirt contests, etc). There is always a lot of drinking, too. This might be difficult with an 18-year old because that is the legal drinking age in Mexico.

If you're looking for a more family-oriented destination, I'd recommend Playa del Carmen. There will still be plenty for your 18-year old to do, but there will definitely be less noise and usually no wild parties.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:41 AM
sandra

I agree with poster who said spring breakers tend to gravitate to specific hotels. I went there on business trip in the height of spring break season, stayed at the Melia Cancun (5 star right onthe beach) and didn't even know it was spring break until I got the to town itself. Then it gets pretty wild but if you're willing to stay confined to a nice hotel/resort then you'll have no problem. Given that you are on vacation and will want to see a lot of the town and do things with the children other than sit on the beach, then my advice is also to go to Playa del Carmen instead. Quaint, beautiful, a bit more peaceful on Spring Break, and beaches just as wonderful.

No matter what you do, you most likely won't be able to completely avoid the spring break crowd, but Playa is probably your better bet of the two.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:01 PM
dmotl

Visit isla-mujeres.net
Cancun is an animal house for spring break.
IM is a low cost alternative to PDC

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Mariela

Cancun is a wild place for spring place but if you keep your days busy your teen won't even want to go out at night. There is tons to do and it is such a beautiful place. Isla Mujeres,Xcaret Park, Xeleha, Tulum Ruins, Jungle Tour (jet ski tour), Visiting the centros during the day, great food, Water Park, Swimming with Dolphins etc.... I just turned 20 and to tell you the truth this past summer I only went to 1 club because I was so tired the rest of the trip knowing that I had to wake up early in the morning. There are many beautiful places at night as well. Dinner at nice restaurants, walking down town at night. Is your teen really wild??