Search

Paraty - travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
stb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paraty - travel

We are going to Rio de Janeiro and Paraty (4 or 5 days in Paraty) in August and would be
pleased if anyone could help us on the following questions:

Should we go from Rio to Paraty on a taxi or van transportation or we'd better rent a car?

Where would a 4 adult family should stay? Which Pousada, hotel, appartment, villa?...

Would we need a car during our stay in Paraty or beaches are easily reached without a car?

What beaches would you recommend?

Any further tip you consider important (like restaurants, sights...)!!!!

Thanks in advance for your answers!!!!!

STB

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM

I haven't been to Paraty so can't help you on the specifics but in general there are very good cheap inter-city buses in Brazil.

It's roughly 4 hours to Paraty so I think a taxi would be incredibly expensive and I wouldn't recommend driving. Brazilian driving is fast and close!

The bus station 2 km north of the city (Rodoviaria Novo Rio) is where you get the buses.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM

The beaches right in town were not that alluring. But boat operators will take you to some spectacular ones in the bay and on some small islands. Even the set day-long "schooner" outings give you plenty of beach time. I was there in 1989 and don't recall the names of any of the restaurants. They were all good as I recall. We stayed in a pleasant Pousada a block from the beach and on the north side of town, just past the small river, but I don't recall the name.

The bus from Rio was comfortable -- I think about four hours. The road was well-paved and there are some nice coastal views. In Brazil you pre-purchase bus tickets with assigned seats, so the left side of the bus would have the best views going to Parati and the right side returning. (I've bussed all over the Brazilian northeast and come to regard paved roads as a major luxury).

Boa Viagem
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Regular buses should be fine. You can also book with Paraty Tours which charges R$125 one way, will pick you up at your hotel and take you back either to the city or to the airport.

The same company also runs day trips from Paraty (boat, jeep, etc.) that are reasonable and cover the area well, so you shouldn't need to rent a car.

I hear the beaches at Trindade are fabulous -- Paraty Tours has a trip that includes them.

See my post under "Brazil recommendatons" for pousada and restaurant tips. We loved Pousada Pardiero -- very quiet and convenient, lovely staff.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM

I am from Rio,I hope I can help you.Paraty is 256km from Rio de Janeiro.You can go by bus,which is confortable,but as I travel a lot, I would suggest you rent a car-so you can enjoy all the nice places that are around Paraty, otherwise we will lose a lot of nice places.Avoid going on a Friday,people leave Rio to Angra dos Reis, and Paraty.Don't miss the "escunas" that take you to wonderful beaches on the islands.If you go by car don't miss the 360 islands, near Angra dos Reis, that you can visit by these "escunas".You can stay in a Pousada.I do not know the prices, but I have a book with all the cities in Brazil and hotels. I will give you some sites, and you can try: santaclarahotel.com.br ; villas-de-paraty.com.br; aguasde paraty.com.br; pousadabromelias.com.br;pousadacorsario.com.br don't forget to put www.before these sites. Hope this can be useful
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I forgot to say,if you want to visit Angra dos Reis, which in fact you can do when you are coming back to Rio, because is in your way to Paraty,try the Hotel do Frade-www.hoteldofrade.com.br it is a paradise.