Need help planning 2-3 day side trip from Sao Paolo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am a woman travelling alone to Sao Paolo for business, but I would like to go a few days early to try to see some sights. Any suggestions for a short trip, keeping in mind that I will be travelling alone?
Thanks!!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Besides the normal activities of museums, etc., be sure to devote an afternoon to shopping in one of the City's huge malls..a really nice one is in the Morumbi(sic?) district, very upscale. The clothing stores display mostly samples, which means you actually have someone wait on you to find your size in the back room. (Saves on retail space - ingenious!)

The Brahma Bar in downtown SP I would recommend for a little night life if you are alone and want to mingle with people in a safe and fun environment. On Fridays, I believe it is, they have sing alongs...the place is jammed with people of all ages. We had our 13-yr. old niece with us here...she was even allowed to sit at the bar. They will not serve children, but as a parent or guardian, you can allow them to sample your beer....now who really lives in a 'Free' country? Not us in the USA!

Anywho, you'll love SP and the people.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Forgot to mention...try the Riviera area of SP for some time on the beach..within driving distance of the City, about 4 hours, give or take, depending on the traffic...weekends are jammed.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:34 AM

Hello.
The north coast of the State of São Paulo is very beautiful: close to the mountain range of Serra do Mar, with preserved remains of the magnificent Floresta Atlântica (Atlantic Forest), beautiful beaches, beautiful islands, and Parati, a very nice preserved colonial town.
Should the weather forecast be good, go visit Parati http://www.paraty.com.br/ Try a boat tour.
EMPRESAS REUNIDAS PAULISTA DE TRANSPORTES www.reunidaspaulista.com.br serves Parati from São Paulo by regular bus, twice a day (10 a.m., 06 p.m.), approx. price R$ 24 (US$ 8), approx. 4 hours driving time.
If instead you prefer a destination closer to São Paulo, go visit Ilhabela http://www.ilhabela.com.br/ which is a very well preserved, big and montainous island. In Ilhabela: boat tours, crossing the island on 4-wheel drive. Try Pousada dos Hibiscos http://www.pousadadoshibiscos.com.br/ within walking distance from downtown Ilhabela.
LITORANEA serves Ilhabela from São Paulo by regular bus, 5 times a day (from 08:30 a.m. to 17:30 p.m.), approx. price R$ 24 (US$ 8), approx. 4 hours driving time.
You may buy bus tickets in http://www.passagem-em-domicilio.com.br/ , tickets will be delivered at your adress for a small extra fee. Traveling by bus in Brasil is cheap, comfortable and safe. There are 2 main long-range bus terminals in São Paulo, check which is the correct one.
Both Parati and Ilhabela offer very good diving spots.
Have a nice trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Thanks!! Where would you recommend staying in Parati? Is it easy to get around there without a car?
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 09:24 AM

I have seen a poster somewhere recommending Pousada da Marquesa, in Parati. I looked their site http://www.pousadamarquesa.com.br/ it seems fine.
I think a car is not very useful in Parati: the city is small, and the most beautiful promenades are made by boat.
There is a small fishing village called Trindade, very charming, next to Parati, which seems deserves being visited - I hope there is a local bus linking Parati to Trindade, or a boat.
If you go there, I would appreciate to have your feedback.