Search

guadalajara vs cuernavaca

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guadalajara vs cuernavaca

We need to make a decision. We are planning a trip to Mexico, looking everywhere to decide with little conclusion. Finally decided to bite the bullet and do the city thing in Cuernavaca for 2 weeks without a car in November. will walk, taxi and bus to outlying areas. Now I am wondering if PV or guadalajara is a better plan, a bit easier going and less crowded? the housing in C is cheap , set up for langauage school studnets and looks intersting and plentiful. we are NOT doing school, just want an easy cultural walking around, photography, crafts, relaxing but interesting trip. we are not interested in "2 days here, 3 days there", we are looking to be planted in 1 or 2 places for about 16 days. SUGGESTIONS. in our 50s, no kids/pets. seasoned travelers, enjoy out of the way places yet watch for health and safety. more experienced in islands of africa, europe, ukriane, russia, little experince in Mexico other than totos santos baha, ( good clue what we like) help anyone?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM

From your description, I would suggest going with a Mexico City/Cuernavaca combination. Cuernavaca has grown trememdously in the last 25 years, but I would not really describe it as a city--more like an overgrown resort/suburb of Mexico City. Selecting Guadalajara for your first trip to Mexico for your city would be like choosing Chicago over New York for your first trip to the US--a nice place, lots to see, but cannot compare for a first trip to a Mexican city.

You could fly in to Mexico City and easily spend a week or more. Cuernavaca is about 90 minutes away by bus, and is a great place to decompress, with lots of pleasant garden-style small hotels, some interesting sights, and many more interesting day trips.

Walk, taxi and bus is a great way to explore in Mexico. Can get more specific if this would interest you.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:01 AM

For what you describe, Cuernavaca would not be my choice. Bigger, dirtier and more crowded each time I go. Fewer cultural attractions, in my opinion, then most places in Mexico. Guadalajara quite interesting, but it it is a big Mexican City. PV, well you need to decide whether you want the beach or not. Culture, walking, photography and crafts, I would lean toward Oaxaca. Much more Americanized but Guanajuato would not be bad pick either
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much....my friends were all wondering why we chose C. also....not the best choice for what we are seeking... now on with more info. will look at better alternatives....still want a trip in November, haver air miles so fares are not issues...any plaves to stay away from in November with the other info in mind?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

adding... we were recommended Utila, Honduras, looks REALLY great but we are trying to get away from the beach (for once!)so places without the beach as a focus would be preferred.
thanks again
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM

You might check out Morelia & Patzcuaro in Michoacan. One a large very clean sophisticated city & the other a smaller craft type town with lots to see.
Pyramids, Ruins, great architecture, ballet, waterfalls, fabulous shopping, resturants, you name it!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Puerto Vallarta (been there 18 times to date), it's a beach resort and a normal Mexican town all in one.

If you liked Todos Santos on the Baja, you might enjoy one of the smaller towns north of PV like San Pancho or Sayulita (instead or in combination with Vallarta).

Guadalajara is a HUGE city, 2nd only to DF I believe.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for newest replies. I am interested in the small area north of PV...will let you know. will continue looking at all of these good suggestions. no car will crimp the travel sopmewhat but as long as there is enough to do where we are then the day trips will be fine by bus, taxi or foot.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I don't think a lack of car will disrupt your traveling at all. I have never had trouble getting anywhere in Mexico with public transportation. Taxis, buses, collectivos, vans, there is abundant transport everywhere I have ever been in the county. Even in the most rural towns, stand around for a while and a bus comes along.