Search

solo trip to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solo trip to Mexico

Hi,
I'd like to spend a week in January/February in Mexico. I think I've narrowed it down to Playa del Carmen and now I have to find a place to stay! I'll likely be travelling solo, don't speak spanish so I need somewhere safe and relatively English speaking. I'd also like to be able to do some tours. Any ideas? I'm open to both boutique kind of hotels or even an all inclusive. I'm not looking for budget accomdations more mid to high end. Thanks for any help you can provide. PS this will be my first trip to Mexico.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I've gone to Playa solo too and it's a GREAT location for solo traveling. If you want to be right on the beach try either Alhambra or Playa Maya. They are right next to each other and just off the bustling 5th ave.

I really liked Luna Blue for solo. It's a little more basic and located in the quiet north end but still very close to the beach and 5th. Very clean, beautiful small hotel with great hosts, Tony and Cherri.

You should have no problem with language almost anywhere in Playa unless you venture way off the beaten path.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've just been looking at the Playa Maya and it looks exactly like what I'm looking for. This is my first time travelling by myself so I'm both nervous and excited. Any tips on places to visit while I'm there?
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Playa Maya is perfect, you can't go wrong. I'll "warn" you though, its real easy to get in a habit of going directly from a toes-in-sand breakfast to a lounge chair for the rest of the day and every day after that!

http://www.playa.info/

Go here for lots of great info. Spend some time on the forums and go ahead and introduce yourself. I'm sure you're going to find others who will be there at the same time and more than happy to offer suggestions and meet up for a beverage or two.

One of my favorite side trips is down to Tulum and the beaches just south of there. The most amazing beaches any where in the world.

Chichen itza is also very worth a trip but count on that as a long day especially if you add a cenote or two.

Are you interested in a catamaran? There are a couple really fun tours I can suggest.

Any and all of the above can be booked as part of a tour group so you need not worry about transportation.

Hopefully this will help you get started. You will have a blast!!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have experience with Playa del Carmen, but I go solo to Puerto Vallarta often and always have a fantastic time.

Even if you don't speak Spanish, you'll do OK (but I would not expect things to be "relatively English speaking" outside the tourist places people will likely be Spanish-speaking).

Old Aug 28th, 2008, 02:13 PM

I travel to Playa about once every 7-8 weeks and live there part time. You will rarely have a problem with just english but it is always nice to be able to say hello, goodbye, please, thank you, and the check please (la cuenta, por favor). Waiters will not bring you the check in a restaurant unless you ask for it. I travel there all the time by myself and have not had any problems. I've also stayed at Playa Maya, Riviera Del Sol, and Luna Blue along with several AI's in Playacar before I bought down there. They're all very nice. La Tortuga is nice also but is not on the beach. El Cielo has a good location right off 5th Ave. I had a friend stay there in July and she liked it a lot. Breakfast was included. Have a great time.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Jette, I would definitely be interested in those catamaran tours and if you have an experience with good tours to Chichen Itza I'd appreciate information on that as well.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:16 AM

A great way of meeting people (and improving your Spanish) in Playa del Carmen is to go to a Spanish School for a couple of days - it won´t take up all your time and the school there organise lots of great social tours.

Spanish lessons in Mexico can be fun as well!

http://www.viaspanish.com/Learn-Span...el-Carmen.html
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM

I would love information on which tours to Chichen Itza you recommend, and the catamaran tours. Basically any of the excursions that you think are worthwhile!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM

I spent 2 weeks traveling solo in the Yucatan back in 99 -- great time! (And I don't speak Spanish much beyond asking for a Margarita.) I spent 5 nights in PdC, hanging out with a trio from Minn. who I met on the van ride from the airport. One of them knew to walk north on the beach beyond the last building (it's all built up now) to find really good snorkeling. The last time I was there was in 2006 with hubby. We split our vacation between Playa and Akumal and, in the end, decided we loved Akumal and Playa had gotten too "civilized". Maybe the change in the Margarita recipe at the Pelicano (on the beach right next to the Playa Maya) helped tip the scales! Anyway, do take a day trip to Akumal if you like to snorkel -- the bus will drop you off at the highway and the walk in is not far. (Check out Locogringo.com if you decide to go -- there's usually a get-together of good people at the Lol Ha beach bar.)