Search

solo travel to riviera maya

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solo travel to riviera maya

I'm planning my first trip to Mexico in late May, early June for a week and am considering Riviera May. I'm late 3o's, female and will be traveling solo. Many of the resorts seem geared to couples or families so I could use some advice on places to stay. I'm looking for somewhere where I can find a mix between things to do and pure relaxation. Not into the spring break/cancun type atmosphere but would like to able to meet interesting people.
Any suggestions?
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Why don't you look into hotels on Xpu-Ha beach just south of Playa Del Carmen. There is Al Cielo which is higher priced and another that is less expensive called Villas del Caribe. Or you could go into Tulum and stay at the Diamante K, Zamas, Amansala(which has Bikini Boot Camp and is geared toward women traveling solo). Locogringo.com has some interesting small properties on their site.
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:26 PM

If I was heading to Mexico alone, I would stay at one of the small hotels in downtown Playa Del Carmen. Not terribly expensive, huge choice of restaurants, and lots of people to meet on 5th Avenue. Also very safe.

The trouble with Tulum is there can be a long walk between properties, and I wouldn't want to do it alone at night.

Jean
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
By reputation only (I have vacationed solo female often but in Puerto Vallarta) I would choose Playa del Carmen for myself, as suggested above. My impression is PDC and PV are somewhat similar... I like to have a busy town to walk around in with lots of choices of restaurants, shopping, people-watching, local stuff. I would *hate* to be stuck in an upscale resort traveling solo (boooring...)

Pure relaxation is easy to find in Mexico, just pick a nice local hotel that offers a good pool and garden area, and is walking distance to a beach.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM

I (female) took 2 preteen kids to Playa over spring break and felt very safe there. If I was going on a vacation alone in Mexico, I would pick either Puerto Vallarta or Playa del Carmen. Both are very safe, great downtown areas, lots to do. You can find places to meet people easily in both places or be alone and relax. Have fun!
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I agree with the suggestion you go to Playa! I have been there often as a solo and met many nice fellow travelers.
(I often go alone, leave my bag at the central bus station and set out to find a room--never had a problem!) I prefer Playa because it gets such a good mix of experienced travelers from all over the world--not the tourist booking the all inclusives and not really looking for the Mexican experience.
Enjoy!
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:27 AM

sb, consider at least a few days in a cabana hotel on the beautiful beaches of Tulum. I stay at Cabanas Copal for a week every year and have met many solo women from all over the world. It is a much quieter, relaxing place that PDC. It is easy to get a taxi to go into town or to another restaurant along the beach road. The beach is beautiful, uncrowded and peaceful. You should check it out. Let me know if you'd like more details. Go to www.cabanascopal.com