Solo in Tulum- what do you think?

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo in Tulum- what do you think?

Hi there-
I am a single 50 yo who needs a break (badly!)
and a friend backed out of traveling. though not a great solo traveler, I can make my way and love the ocean-
Any feedback on how I would fare in this area and any suggestions for a solo traveler? many thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Will you have a car? This is a big issue, since Tulum is a bit isolated. There are two parts to Tulum: the beach road, which is lined with small hotels and cabanas. Once in your room, you can wander the beach for hours - there are many spots where you may not see another soul. There isn't too much else to do here except visit the hotel restaurants. The other part of Tulum is the downtown, which is about 10 blocks long, and has several fun places to eat, and lots of small shops (some touristy some not). if you wander off onto the side streets, you will be in the 'real' Mexico. To get from the beach to the downtown, it's best to have a car (taxis are the other option). With a car, you can drive to the ruins at Coba, which are about 40 minutes into the jungle, you can drive up to Playa del Carmen for lots of nightlife and shopping, or you can visit some of the other attractions in the area - Xcaret, dozens of cenotes, caves, etc,etc. If you are a single female, some of the side streets of downtown Tulum might be sketchy at night, but other than that, you will be fine.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

thank you, zootsi.
I really was not thinking of a car- so your advice is really sound and makes me probably rethink to try to be somewhere more populated.
Many thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Tulum is beautiful and is a great place to "escape" but if you want to meet other solo travelers and have a greater variety of nightlife options, there are better places.

I've stayed in both Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres and found them to be more single friendly with a variety of bars and restaurants and an international crowd.

Also, you don't need a car in either of those destinations.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Personally, I'd have no problem traveling to Tulum solo (haven't had the chance to do it). I'd stay in an area that's more populated with restaurants - like the area where La Conchita is...my fave hotel and you'd be absolutely safe there. There are about 5 restaurants w/in easy walking distance. The dive shop is next door to take you out on a snorkle trip or you can rent a bike.

Really depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Is your flight booked? If not - then you might wish to rethink.

Tons of hugely more interesting places to go in Mexico. And if beach is a must have, then for a few more hours on a bus you could be in Caye Caulker.

Best wiehes.
Another oldie solo traveller.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM

HOLA: I think Tulum should be a shared experience. You might think about Puerto Vallarta, you don't need a car. Stay in Centro or Old Town (preferably in old town), walk everywhere. Many, Many restaurants. You don't have to think twice about being solo in Puerto Vallarta--NOT Nueve Vallarta but PV. I just returned June 14, was there alone, no problems.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tulum would be way too isolated to interest me as a solo traveler. Plus I do not want to have to rent a car or drive in Mexico.

I often go to Puerto Vallarta alone, as suggested above (just got back from one week, last week as a matter of fact). It's a wonderful destination for a get-away. Extremely singles friendly. Plenty to do, or not do, as you like.

If you're set on the Caribbean side then I agree with the suggestions for Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I would pick PDC also if I were solo which I am. I´ve been here 3 1-2 weeks and am staying a bit longer then returning in July. I have no problems driving by myself in MX and do so frequently. Just obey the speed limits and know the rules. Tulum is beautiful..I was there at the beach last week but a bit too quiet for me at night as I like to walk around and visit.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Oh, I am 50 too.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I'm 53, and traveled solo to Cozumel the last two years. Had a great time.

I'm sure you will too.

Keith
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

WOW!
It has been a little while since I checked in-you all must think me terrible.
I got busy with work, and I did make a plan.
I'd like to thank you all so very much for your sage advcie and honest concern.
I do want to make it to Mexico some day and will take these laternate suggestions.
For this year, I 've decided to stay stateside with friends on Eastern Long Island.

Happy travels to you all and many thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM

Well how funny - I'm originally from Long Island. Have a great time.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I'm from there too. Spent my summers in Montauk and Shelter Island. That's the only part of New York I miss.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Me too. But the beach is so much nicer in Playa that I have a new love. They have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me back in New York these days. But growing up and spending those late teen years out on the beach in the Hamptons is not to be forgotten. Now, all those places we used to park off of Dune Road are only by permit. Those were fun times though.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Colokid, Supercilious,

50, long Island, Montauk, Hamptons. good chance that we crossed paths!
I spent some of my early summers at 4-H camp in Riverhead- now we are terribly off topic- maybe a new thread about Long Island???
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I posted a new topic on the US board. Would make more sense over there.
Sue