Notices

So Confused about Costa Rica Options!

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Confused about Costa Rica Options!

Going to CR in the beginning of June. Originally I was told to Fly into San Jose, then go to Manuel Antonio then to Tamarindo and fly out of Liberia. If we go with this option- we would stay at Mansion Inn and then Captain Suizo. Any thoughts on this?
The next option is to go to Arenal (stay at Tabacon) and then to Tamarindo. Question is- if we do this how can we get from city to city? My boyfriend and I would prefer to fly to the cities rather than drive if possible. Does anyone have a suggestion on how we can get around best and which is the better option? We are in our 30s and looking for a FUN time

Thanks for your help- cheers!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much time will you have? Your choice of hotels is excellent.

The first plan is good, and so is the second. Just depends on whether you want beach/rainforest and beach. . .

OR volcano and beach

There are a lot of nice daytrips in and around Arenal. Lots to do MA and Arenal.

Tamarindo itself has become something of a nightmare (too commercial, crowded), but there are some nice areas to explore near there (Playa Grande, Playa Negra, Playa Conchal, Playa Flamingo/Potrero, etc.

We really enjoy driving. Check the website for Nature Air and Sansa and see what flights are available, if you would prefer that.

www.natureair.com

www.flysansa.com

www.tricolorcarrental.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about you consider Arenal and Manuel Antonio, the best of both?

The spa at Tabacon is absolutely wonderful! Be sure to make an appointment!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shillmac's advice is terrific (as usual!).

Arenal and Manuel Antonio is a perfect itinerary for first time visitors; providing the opportunity to experience volcano, rain forest, and beach.

That was our itinerary last December for our first visit and we loved it so much that we just purchased airfare to go back to CR again this year.

We enjoyed the flexibility that a rental car provided and loved all that gorgeous scenery we would have missed out on if we had flown to each destination. Your preferences may be different, however. Aside from flying or driving yourselves, there are also options for hiring private drivers or using a tourist shuttle service such as Interbus.

Best wishes with your decision making process and enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting a driver is in our opinion the best way to go. We have a favorite: Wilson Rojas in the San Jose area. The trip from San Jose to Arenal was just $120 for 3 adults in March. He drives all over to the mountains, beaches etc. Very personable and speaks excellent English. You can reach him at: [email protected]
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all of your help!! Weare only going for a week so I think in order to advoid all of the flights/drives etc we might just stay put in one place- Tamarindo. Maybe also stay in Papgayo for a couple of nights too since that is near Capt. Suizo. Thanks again! I feel like we cant go wrong anywhere we go! I'm sure its all great in CR. I just know there will be issues if we try to drive ourselves given we're from NYC and dont drive
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tamarindo is a dirty, congested, 'gringoized' little town with uncontrolled construction taking place. Shillmac said it well in her post above "Somewhat of a nightmare."

Jerry

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow! thanks for that tidbit on info. CR sure is confusing. I tihnk I finzlied my trip now- boy how things change. Flying into Liberia and staying in Papagayo for 4 nights. Then going to Peace Lodge for 3 nights and then flying out of San Jose. I figured I cant go wrong in CR and hopefully this will give me a little taste of it all
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You hit the nail on the head--you CAN'T go wrong in CR! Allegro Papagayo (is that the property you are staying?) is nice and there are some great day trips to be enjoyed from there--do get up to Rincon de la Vieja while you are there. You'll love Peace Lodge! Have fun!