Si Como No vs. La Mariposa?

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Si Como No vs. La Mariposa?

We're planning a Nov. trip to CR and for the MA portion of the trip I have booked a room at Si Como No. I just read a rave review in a travel guide of La Mariposa. They said that it had hands-down the best views. On their web site the rooms looked a bit spartan to me and I choose SCN instead. Not that anything in CR is luxury. The Fodor's guide book raved about Makanda, however, it's not gotten great reviews on this board for the $$$$ they charge. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:04 AM

I haven't been to Costa Rica in a couple years, but have stayed at both Si Como No and Makanda. We were in a studio at Makanda and the room wasn't all that much different from the one we had at Si Como No. The bathroom was a bit nicer though. Views were awesome at both. I loved Makanda, just seemed more peaceful. I could sit on the front steps of our room and watch the monekys every morning. Si Como No is quite a bit larger and has more of a resort feel to it. Two pools, two restaurants. We did enjoy the swimup bar. We walked or took the bus/taxi while in Manual Antonio and the walk up the hill from Makanda to the main road is a steep one.

We only stopped at La Mariposa for a drink. Rude waiter, which certainly colors my perspective of the place. From the outside it doesn't look as nice as either Si Como No or Makanda.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:23 AM

I would choose si Como No over La Mariposa , rare to find a rave review these days for Mariposa ...... In its heyday , it was THE place , but that was a few years ago . Go there for its unbeatable views ( a sunset drink ) . Makanda is super , as well as The Tulemar Bungalows .
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:25 AM

Si Como No does indeed have a bit more of a " resort" feel than the others .... Makanda feels more like a Boutique hotel , as does Tulemar .
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM

We were booked into a less expensive hotel, but they overbooked so upgraded us to La Mariposa. The 360 degree view is incredibly beautiful. I can't imagine a better vista in Manuel Antonio, if not CR. However, the hotel was not as "Costa Rican" in feel as the others we had stayed at. More of a "jet set"atmosphere around the swim up bar, less friendly at the desk. Because we had been upgraded, we were not allowed to have the full breakfast, so we felt like 2nd class citizens (though the full breakfast didn't look as good as others we'd had at less expensive hotels anyway.) A bathroom faucet didn't work, the beach shuttle did not return to pick us up, etc. etc. Not what we would expect from a place that bills itself as top drawer. However, there is that view......
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM

We stayed at La Mariposa this past January. I posted a trip report and noted that this was a bit of a disappointment. The staff was not at all typical of the Ticos--they were unfriendly and unhelpful and often absent. The food there isn't great (of course you will probably want to eat elsewhere anyway). And we had many problems with our first room--no hot water, no view, near road so we heard trash truck. (The Penthouse where we moved to later was fabulous, though).

Mariposa wasn't horrible, just not as great as the rave reviews. Same with the staff--not horrible but not on par with any other service we received in CR. I would just say that for the price, I wouldn't stay at Mariposa--I would just stop by for a sunset drink.