Notices

seasons in Costa Rica

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seasons in Costa Rica

Has anyone traveled to Costa Rica in June? I am worried that it would be too rainy to enjoy. Suggested itineraries?
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM

It depends on where you go, but you'll get some rain in June. Not enough to spoil your plans. We like to travel in green season because things are lush, and you can get some great deals on hotel prices.

How many days will you have, and what are you interested in seeing and doing?
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM

Go in June a fair amount

it rains in the afternoon on a regular basis.

Really no problem as long as you are prepared

Guanacaste gets less rain so

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com

www.tamarindo.com a nice place to base.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM

No, no one has ever gone in June, are you crazy??!! Just kidding!

I've been twice in June, this year and a few years ago. Neither time had rain disrupt any activities, it was mostly at night anyway. I love May and June, so nice and lush and wonderful storms at night.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM

We will be going in June for the first time. How are the trails in the morning if it rains at night?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

if we go in June we can probably take about 8 nights - if we try to do it in January we would only have 5 and I wonder if it would be worth the trip from Philly? If we did have 8 nights any suggestions of how to divide the time?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM

The trails can get muddy. I remember getting quite a bit of red mud caked on my running shoes on the Osa.

I'd definitely go with eight nights; that would be enough time for you to visit two spots. Most people do an even split between Arenal and Manuel Antonio for their first trip, but there are so many great areas. We've also enjoyed Monteverde, the Peace Lodge/Poas area, Tortuguero and the Osa. Arenal is our favorite spot overall. It really depends on what you want to see and do - do you want beaches, volcanoes, wild and undeveloped or loads of restaurant choices, surfing, wildlife, cool or warm climate?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM

GO IN JUNE if it makes a 3 night difference, for Pete's sake!

Honestly, you cannot count on it raining every afternoon. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. We arrived in CR on June 13 of this past summer. We had absolutely fabulous weather for the first 6 days. Then we flew to the Osa, where it generally rains more. Same thing there--short, light rains SOME days. The rain came mostly at night. Never did it just rain and rain and rain (although it can, that isn't the norm). It's a great time to go to Costa Rica!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM

Guanacaste is always a bit drier, generally. However, we were southeast of San Jose in the Turrialba area June 11-17, San Jose June 17-18, Osa Peninsula June 18-July 4. Rain was never a problem. The brief showers (on some of the days) were pleasant and refreshing.

We love Guanacaste and visit there yearly (usually July), but honestly, I don't think rain is going to hamper your plans anywhere. At least, that has been our experience for travel during the green season during the past 9 years.

Every now and then, someone will report, "Man, we were at Arenal for 2 days and it rained the whole time!". Those reports are few and far between is my point.