Search

How much rain in June?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much rain in June?

I am starting to get cold feet about going back to Costa Rica in June. How much rain will there be? Will it rain everyday?

I will be in Arenal, Osa, Playa Hermosa, and Grenada, Nicaragua.

I want to be able to see the animals and enjoy the outdoors.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Did you not know that the months that U.S. considers summer (June, July, August) is the raining season in CR. The best time to visit is anytime from late Sept. to November. They do not have a winter like we do, it can be chilly in the central valley, but mainly all around nice weather.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:41 PM

I have seen info in 3 different sources that June rains may be part of the reason that the Arenal volcano is often more visible in the month of June.

We'll also be taking our first trip to costa Rica in June.

You have to remember that although rain can alter your plans, it might not be the kind of rain you are used to. When we visited the Caribbean, we were in a rain forest (I think it was in Dominica...we visited several islands...)We were walking miles from the "city" when it started raining. Local women were walking by carrying things on their heads, and they paid no attention to the rain. We soon realized the weather was still warm, and the rain was actually cooling and didn't last long. When it stopped raining we soon were dry enough to be comfortable...we never actually got soaked... Although the rain did make the dirt road more slick.

Anyway I don't know if that's how rain is in Costa Rica, but that's how it was when we were in Dominica, and that's VERY DIFFERENT from the rainy season here in Southern california, where it will rain for a week in January, and it will be overcast all day, no sun, and it's a cold rain and unpleasant. This January we had an unusual record month of rain, and it seemed to rain for a whole month with no sun!
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know how much rain there is in June?
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:09 PM
koa

I have travelled to CR in June and the rain really isnt that bad. It usually rains in the late afternoon and evening, the mornings are usually fine. It shouldnt change your plans to see this great,beautiful country!
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Can't tell you about all the places you're going, but when I was in Arenal and Manuel Antonio last June, it rained most days but just for an hour or so at about 4 pm, then it would clear up and be gorgeous again. One day was more rainy, but most of the time it was just an afternoon shower. It didn't keep us from doing anything we planned.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Don't get cold feet!!!! We just had our first decent rain here in Playa Hermosa ( today) in 6 months. By the time you arrive in June the burnt landscape will have been transformed into a lush green Eden. Expect afternoon rains with clearing for some of the most spectacular sunsets you have ever seen. It doesn't rain everyday! Nicaragua weather will be much the same..... more rain the further south you go. Bring some light rain gear.

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM

NO NO! Don't get cold feet, and don't give it a second thought. We've been every year in July for 4 years now. The rainy season is a favorite travel time for MOST of us Fodorites simply because Guanacaste (where you will be mostly) is drop dead gorgeous when it turns green.

As for Arenal, it was as rainy when we were there in December as it was in July. And that wasn't much.

The Osa gets more rain, but last July we had a lovely time there (in early July) with very little daytime rain.

So go and have a great time. June is a very good time to enjoy Costa Rica! If it does rain a bit in the afternoon, it usually cools the beach areas down a bit and generally lasts for a very short time.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:16 AM

One more question about the rain in July we will be in Drakes Bay and Bosque Del Cabo for a week 7/17-7/24 My husband's getting worried that the rain will make transporatation a problem and we may get stuck if the rivers get too high Also do the tours in the Osa area get cancelled from the weather Does anyone have any advice or experience Also shillimac I really appreciate all your advice on these posts you are always so helpful tHANKS Ami
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Ami, thank you. Wish any of us knew what mid July would bring in terms of rain on the Osa. We had no problems in early July last year. Makes sense that the further into the rainy season, the more rain is likely to fall, but you never can tell. We spoke to Phillip at Bosque del Cabo about this, and he suggested that the only time people should avoid the Osa (if worried about rain) is during September and October. I'm thinking you'll definitely have some, but it shouldn't interfere too much with your plans . . .good luck!
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:40 PM

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Take a look at this website. It may give you a general idea. . . .
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM

I would rather have it be rainy and green than dry and brown. That is why we are chosing to go in July and less tourists . I lived in Amsterdam for a year, it rained everyday usually all day long from a light sprinkle to a straight downpour and it is cold. I figure a little rain in Costa Rica will be no problem at least we will be in the RAINforest!!
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM

A lot of people have replied about weather but are talking more about July. Yes, July is a lovely month to travel in CR as well as early August. This is known as veranillo de San Juan or better known as little summer. By then the rains of May and June have turned Costa Rica into an sea of Emerald green.

Papagayo thanks for your knowledge from the great perspective of someone who lives there and Koa and Allison, thank you for your first hand knowledge of travel in June. That is what makes this board so valuable. I am sure people will be much less worried about traveling at that time thanks to you. I know I will think more seriously about it because there are a lot fewer tourists.

According to what we have learned from the many friends we have made down there...the end of August is when the rains get heavier with Sept and Oct being the wettest months. November can be pretty rainy in the southern part. Fortunately, even then, there is a bright spot with the Caribbean side actually being a little drier in Sept and Oct than the rest of the year. Many of our friends travel out of CR during the Sept to Nov period either to other countries or to visit family back in the states. Most of them love to see the green season arrive in May because of the slightly cooler temps and the rains that transform the drab summer brown land into a beautiful place.

Dariow....get your feet ready to be warmed by the sun.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM

dariow - shillmac's URL is one of the best. I've seen another that presents the data in a linear graph, as opposed to the spider web graph.

Why not simply use an internet search engine to locate what you're seeking? You're not hoping to find somebody here that will predict the weather for you in four locations are you?

Expect rain for several hours each day. Several hours will also be without rain. The animals and the indigenous people of CR are accustomed to the rain. Prepare yourself.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:26 PM

Dariow, did you decide for or against Costa Rica? My family and I are also planing a trip to Costa Rica at the end of June but i'm getting that cold feet feeling also. I have 4 kids (3, 6, 8 and 10) and I thought they'd love CR but as I do more research it appears that getting around for us might be troublesome alone without the weather even playing a factor. I had planned for us to fly into San Jose, go to Arenal for 3 days and then down to Manuel Antonio but as I look into getting around, it seems very difficult and/or very expensive. Drivers with a van charge and arm and a leg to get around the country and we don't know anyone local that could guide us. We were contemplating renting a car but from things I've read it appears that renting a car in Costa Rica might also have its own issues. How did you plan on getting around if you don't mind me asking? Also has anyone had any good luck with either drivers or rental car agencies? Costa Rica doesn't seem as affordable as I thought it would be for a family vacation. Transportation is one of our basic needs since we are a family with 4 young kids but i'm struggling with that alone. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? They would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM

DVIPortland: You might get more responses if you started a new post with your many questions which go well beyond the original topic, which is by the way, about 8 years old. Think about combining Sarapiqui and Tortuguero which can be done as a package with transportation provided. It will still rain, but involves less traveling and ought to be a fascinating adventure.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:19 AM

depends on which year you are talking about. Some years will be above average and some years will be below average.